Steve's Blackberry Crumble

Oh, Steve's, I really want to love you, but I just don't.  Before I launch into a rant about this brand, I want to say that I've not tried any of Steve's dairy-free flavors, which are apparently pretty good.  In fact, Lizzy crowned Steve's non-dairy Speculoos Cookie Butter as the best non-dairy flavor of 2015.

Non-dairy flavors aside, I have been completely disappointed by Steven's dairy ice cream.  It should have everything going for it.  Steve's has a great range of flavors; from standards to more unique creations.  They have super cute packaging (I am a sucker for nice packaging).  They have delicious sounding mix-ins.  Yet somehow this comes together in a sub-par product.

I recently tried Blackberry Crumble, described as

Blackberry cobbler meets rich vanilla ice cream in a classic pairing. Large chunks of cinnamon-oat streusel folded into vanilla grass-fed milk and cream and blackberry jam, with a hint of meyer lemon swirled through.  Simple summer flavors - paired perfectly - that you can enjoy anytime of year.



I'll start with the mix-ins because these were actually pretty good.  The blackberry swirl was very thick and retained some of the tartness of blackberries, which blackberry swirls and jams don't often manage to do.  It wasn't, however, overwhelmingly tart.

The streusel was a bit dry, but other than that very good.  The individual oats weren't discernible, maybe they were ground up.  It had a delicate but very present cinnamon flavor that allowed the flavor of the oats to come through.


Unfortunately, the base ruined this flavor for me.  First, it was nearly flavorless.  Not only was the vanilla flavor lacking (every once in a while I got a hint of vanilla), but it didn't even really taste like sweet cream either.  Just ... nothing.  Also, the texture was not very good. It was dense but not at all creamy.  It wasn't exactly chewy, but it was firm and I definitely had to chew it.

I could almost forgive the lack of flavor, but the combination of the base and the blackberry swirl tasted very bad, ruining the blackberry swirl.

Unfortunately I'm giving this 🍦/4 cones.  The mix-ins would probably get 2.5 or 3 cones, but the base really ruined this flavor for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd