FoMu Avocado and Peanut Butter Mud Pie

Okay, so when I was in the St. Louis airport eating Baskin Robbins, I was flying to Boston en-route to my next research location. When I arrived in Boston, my friend Brett immediately asked me if I wanted to get ice cream. I surprised him when I said no, because I'd eaten some in the airport. His response of, "WHO EVEN ARE YOU?" was of course, appropriate. When he continued on to tell me that FoMu, a Boston vegan ice cream company had a pop-up shop only a few blocks from his apartment, I changed my mind. Not that it was that difficult.

I'd heard of FoMu before, but this was my first time trying their ice cream, because they are still only sold around Massachusetts and Rhode Island. FoMu makes their vegan ice creams with coconut milk and they also make vegan baked goods.

The flavor offerings at the pop-up shop were a combination of totally desserty flavors and super unique creations. I decided to get one of each, Avocado and Peanut Butter Mud Pie.



I don't remember the exact descriptions of either, but the avocado was a simple avocado flavor with a hint of lime. And folks, this might be the best avocado ice cream I've ever had, dairy or non dairy! Granted, this is only the second avocado ice cream I've ever had, the first being the avocado ice cream I got at Salt & Straw a few weeks ago. What made this flavor so great was its simplicity! The avocado flavor was about as strong as it could be, given that avocado is inherently a subtle flavor. The flavor of the coconut base poked through a little bit, but I think that it complemented the avocado well. Lastly, the hint of lime was superb. I think in the states, we often forget that avocados are technically fruits. The sweetness and tartness of the lime brought out some, you might call it sweetness, of the avocado. The texture of FoMu was also most apparent in this flavor, since there were no mix-ins or anything. It was pretty creamy for a vegan ice cream and no gumminess. A touch of what Madeline has aptly called "breakage" of non-dairy ice creams, but that almost disappeared as this flavor got a bit meltier. Overall, for the love of avocados 🍦🍦🍦🍦/4 cones!!



The Peanut Butter Mud Pie was also killer. The base tasted sooo incredibly nutty. Like unadulterated nuts, with not too much sweetness. This was definitely necessary as there was tons of sweet and rich chocolatey goodness from the mix-ins and swirls. The fudge swirl was abundant and pretty thick. I was pretty blown away by how chocolatey it tasted given that it was also dairy-free. The texture was more like chocolate sauce that fudge, but it was still great. The "FOreo" pieces were quite soft and moist, more like cake than cookie. There were lots of them, too! Overall, I LOVED this flavor. I have a couple really crazy nitpicky complaints. I would have liked a slightly more peanut flavor in the peanut to chocolate ratio, but I appreciate what they were going for pairing simple peanut flavor with rich, sweet chocolate mix-ins! Lastly, a slightly less liquid fudge swirl would also have been nice. But please ignore my craziness and try this flavor! 🍦🍦🍦.5/cones!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd