Izzy's Fig Tart and Salted Caramel

It has been a hot minute since the last time I went to Izzy's! All the new ice creams at the beginning of the year have kept me glued to the grocery store ice cream aisles, but with the official start of summer hopefully I'll be visiting more ice cream shops.

Last Saturday I decided to go to the Stone Arch Bridge Festival after dance on Saturday afternoon.  Izzy's is about halfway between my dance studio and the Stone Arch Bridge so obviously I stopped in.

Looking at the list of available flavors, I saw Fig Tart and immediately knew I needed to have it.  The only decision left was what to get as my Izzy scoop.  I had it narrowed down to Vanilla, Lemon Buttermilk, and Salted Caramel.  I ultimately chose Salted Caramel, though the decision was a tough one.

Fig Tart is described as

Fig ice cream with organic Black Mission Figs, orange zest and graham cracker crunch.



So I've never had a real fig.  The closest I've come is a Fig Newton.  This ice cream was like a Fig Newton on crack.  The base had a distinctive fig flavor both very sweet and rich, bordering on savory, at the same time.  There were large chunks of dried fig mixed in that amplified the fig flavor.  These had the perfect texture: chewy, soft, and juicy.

I didn't explicitly taste the orange zest, but I'm guessing the acidity helped balance the sweetness from the figs.  I did, however, pick up a hint of cinnamon, which may have been from the  graham  cracker crunch.  Speaking of which, the graham crunch was the perfect finishing touch.  There weren't as many graham pieces but the ones that were there gave a nice buttery crunch.


The Salted Caramel was delicious but slightly unexpected.  It was the most buttery caramel ice cream I have ever tried.  In fact, it tasted more like salted butter than salted caramel.  This wasn't a bad thing, as it had a much lighter flavor than your typical salted caramel which complemented the fig ice cream a lot better.

Fig Tart easily earns šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones! My first 4 cone rating in quite a while!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd