Blue Bunny Cherry Pickin' Chocolate

I've managed to make it over 2 years as an ice cream blogger without trying Blue Bunny, but I finally tried some this week.  I've always had Blue Bunny on my radar, but they sort of fell in this weird middle ground.  They're not a super-prominent brand like Ben and Jerry's or Haagen-Dazs, they're not local, don't have particularly weird or unique flavors, I didn't have them as a child so I have no sentimental attachment to the brand, so there was always something else I was slightly more excited to grab.  Blue Bunny doesn't really deserve this cold shoulder as they're a popular brand that makes some great flavors.

Cherry Pickin' Chocolate is the first ever Blue Bunny ice cream, and it is

Cherry ice cream with dark chocolaty chunks and cherry pieces.


I really, really liked the cherry base.  It was a light and sweet cherry.  Sometimes cherry ice cream can taste fake or cloyingly sweet, but this flavor adroitly avoided these pitfalls.  I picked up on a slightly weird rubbery or gummy texture on the first bowl I had, but didn't notice it on my second and third serving.  The ice cream was a little bit airy, but not so much that it took away from the density of the flavor.

The chocolaty chunks were your standard fudge flakes, nothing outstanding, but not bad either.  There were enough of there to get three or four per bite.


Cherries are quickly becoming one of my favorite fruit mix-ins.  They hold their texture way better than a lot of other fruits and remain chewy and don't get icy when frozen in ice cream.  There cherry chunks were pretty small, and, quite frankly there were not enough of them!  The stronger cherry flavor from the cherry really complemented the light cherry flavor of the base.

I'll give this flavor 🍦🍦.5/4 stars.  It is a solid flavor and I enjoyed it, but there wasn't necessarily anything outstanding to bump it up to a higher cone rating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd