Oberweis Blueberry Pie

Last week, I was hanging in St. Louis, but I was pretty lazy on the ice cream front. Instead of going to any scoop shops, I just checked out my local Dierberg's to see what flavors they had. Luckily, Dierberg's has a lot of exciting brands and flavors, so you do get one exciting review.



I went over there with my mom and she really wanted me to get Oberweis ice cream since they are a brand only sold in certain areas of the midwest, including Missouri and Illinois. I am not sure if you can get Oberweis in Iowa, but I don't think I have ever seen the brand around. However, I don't usually think of Oberweis as having any unique flavors, so I wasn't too keen on picking up a pint when Dierberg's also has Steve's and McConnell's and such. That is until my mom pointed out the Blueberry Pie flavor and the fact that Oberweis was on sale for 2 pints for $8 or one for $4.

You can see a couple of pie crust pieces peeking out!


And boy oh boy, I am glad I grabbed this flavor. Oberweis doesn't have a description of the flavor on the pint or on their website. But from looking at the ingredients I would describe this as a mascarpone base, with blueberry pie filling swirl, and pie crust pieces.

After I scooped one scoop, I had to take another picture because I thought the ice cream was so pretty!


I'm going to start with the base, because that is really what got me excited about this flavor and brought it from good to great. The base was lightly cheese flavored. Light enough that the blueberries took center stage, but cheesey enough that it was just that much more exciting than a different base. The cheesiness, in fact, really accentuated the tartness of the berries. The swirl through this was also more like plain blueberries than pie filling, but tasted amazing.



Sometimes blueberry ice creams taste like generic berries, but this one really tasted exactly like blueberries. Not too tart, and perfectly sweet. There were also some bits of blueberry skin throughout. Interestingly, there was a hint of lemon in the blueberries, which was confirmed by the ingredient list. This made the flavor taste like an authentic pie, as I feel like that is how the grandma's in the know make blueberry pie. The slight tang of the lemon brought out the blueberry flavor even more. Lastly, the pie pieces were more like short bread than flakey pie crust, but tasted quite buttery.

There is one piece of pie crust, and you can see a couple others underneath the spoon. 


All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the mascarpone base and hint of lemon. I ate half a pint in one sitting and probably would have eaten the whole thing if I hadn't scooped my serving into a cup. All this flavor was lacking was flakier pie crust pieces. šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd