Yotopia March Madness

For many people, March is one of the best months of the year because of March Madness. Now that I live in Iowa, I would count myself among this group. And no, this is not because of the basketball tournament, seeing as Iowa was trounced by Villanova in the second round. The reason I, as an Iowa resident, now love March is because Yotopia has their own March Madness.

I topped my froyo kiwi, strawberries, and butterscotch chips, which went great with the Bourbon Caramel. But I mostly ate the toppings separately from the froyo so I could truly appreciate and evaluate the flavors!


Every two days, Yotopia is having two battles between two flavors. They started with a total of twelve flavors, Irish Mint vs. Irish Cream Cupcake, White Chocolate Raspberry vs. Cherry Vanilla, Taro Root vs. Honey Lavender, Chai Tea Spice vs. Ginger Lemongrass, Hibiscus Guava vs. Peach Tea, and Nutella vs. Bourbon Caramel. The first two match ups passed and I didn't get a chance to try them and Yotopia hasn't announced the winners. I guess I will just have to go in to find out for myself which flavors one.



Yesterday I did get the opportunity to try four of the flavors when I went in with my friends Tarah and Shelby. I spent over $7 on froyo because I wanted to make sure I ate enough of each flavor to make an informed decision. The four flavors I tried were Hibiscus Guava, Peach Tea, Nutella, and Bourbon Caramel. I was most excited about the Hibiscus Guava, as I am a huge guava fan, and the Bourbon Caramel, as I totally predicted an alcohol flavored frozen dessert trend for 2016.



All four flavors were super amazing. I was pleasantly surprised that the Hibiscus Guava really did taste like guava, but with extra sweetness (as guavas are not the sweetest fruit) with a light floral undertone. Overall, the flavor of this froyo was light and I would have liked some more of the floral flavor. The peach tea totally surprised me in flavor and appearance. The froyo was a darker and more brown color than I expected, but I guess tea will do that! The flavor was super strong and sweeter than I thought. The peach was the most prominent flavor, and with a tea finish. I am not the biggest tea fan, and this flavor made me appreciate tea flavors more. However, someone who might want a very strong tea flavored froyo might be disappointed by this flavor, as the sweet peach flavor stole the show.

Top right: Bourbon Caramel, top left: Hibiscus Guava, bottom left: Nutella, bottom right: Peach Tea


The Nutella flavor tasted a lot like sweet cocoa with lighter hazelnut notes, which is very similar to the spread itself. It was super tasty, but I wouldn't have minded a stronger hazelnut presence. Lastly, the caramel flavor in the Bourbon Caramel was very light and was on the front of flavor profile.  After the caramel flavor faded, there was a light flavor of bourbon. However, the subtlety of both flavors wasn't a lack like I felt there was in the Hibiscus Guava.

Now, which flavors did I vote for? Drumroll please.......

Peach Tea and Bourbon Caramel! I voted for the Peach Tea because I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! And while the Nutella was a great flavor, I voted for the Bourbon Caramel because it is more unique. Nutella is been there done that, and I appreciated the creativity and subtlety of the Bourbon Caramel! However, I seriously loved all four flavors and I'm pretty devastated that I even had to vote in the first place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd