University of Minnesota Dairy Salesroom Coffee Cappuccino Chip

Soooooooooooo, confession time.  I've lived in Minneapolis and attended the University of Minnesota for nearly 3 years and didn't know that the U of M sold their own dairy products.  I'm a bad adopted Minnesotan.  Every week, on Wednesday from 2pm-5pm, you can go to the Dairy and Meat Salesroom in Room 166 the Andrew Boss Lab of Meat Sciences on the University of Minnesota's St. Paul campus and purchase cheeses, ice creams, frozen yogurts, and meats produced on campus by students, faculty, and staff.  (Side note, can I please come over and play?)

Lizzy loves meat!

Lizzy and I went while she was visiting for spring break.  They had about 10 flavors to choose from in both half galls ($6.75) and pints ($3.50).  We chose two flavors and have a review of the first, Coffee Cappuccino Chip for you today.  This flavor is

Coffee base ice cream with cappuccino and chocolate chips




Madeline's take: This was not the strongest coffee ice cream I have ever had, and while I typically enjoy a stronger coffee base, I still liked this one because it was very well executed.  Because the coffee flavor was lighter, you could taste the quality of the dairy used for the base.  On my second serving, I picked up a hint of butter, and lo and behold, this ice cream is made with butter! I think this is the first time in my life I've seen this!  The hint of butter served to smooth out the coffee flavor even more.  If you're not a coffee person to the extent that you don't even like coffee ice cream I would recommend this flavor as a gentle first step on the road to a full-blown coffee addiction.

Lol, butter!

The ice cream was very smooth and dense, and tasted very fresh.  I would guess this ice cream has a very high fat content (I mean ... butter) and very low overrun.


The chocolate chips were small and well-distributed throughout the pint.  They weren't anything spectacular, but did the job of adding some richness and sweetness to the flavor.  The cappuccino wasn't really much chips, as the description seems to suggest; rather, the cappuccino came in the form of bits of gooey swirl.  Again, there were lots of these swirl bits throughout the pint.  They were buttery like the base, but had a much stronger coffee flavor, which I really appreciated.

Overall this was a well-executed and well-balanced flavor and on par with ice creams twice as expensive.  You can bet I'll be returning to the Dairy Salesroom in the near future!

Lizzy's take: First: who knew there was such a thing as meat science? I sure didn't, but now I can count myself among a very select group. Vegetarians who have been to a meat science lab. Oh the things I will do for ice cream.



I definitely agree with Madeline, this was a lighter coffee ice cream flavor. Whether or not they make their other flavors with butter, apparently putting butter in your coffee is a new trend. Not sure how well it is catching on, and I haven't tried it myself. But if people normally use cream, why not use butter?



Anyway, the chocolate chips were good, but could have used more of them. I also thought the cappuccino chips were interesting. They added a bit more coffee kick when you ate one, and to me they almost tasted a bit like caramel? That might have been me picking up the combo of the brown sugar in the chips and the butter in the ice cream. I really liked this caramel-y flavor, but I think I would have liked it better if it was balanced with a stronger, more bitter coffee flavor. This flavor would probably be really good in affogato.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd