Sweet Science Dark Chocolate Sorbet

Are you getting sick of my Sweet Science reviews yet?  Fear not, for this is the last flavor, and I have definitely saved the most intriguing flavor, Dark Chocolate Sorbet, for last.  This flavor is described as

Dark Chocolate Sorbet is so dark and fudge, you'll forget it's a (vegan) sorbet.


I don't know about you, but when I think of dark chocolate I think of dark, decadent, luxurious, rich dessert.  When I think of sorbet, I think of the opposite: a light and refreshing treat.  Thus I am habitually skeptical of chocolate sorbets.

I had no need to worry, as this sorbet was awesome.  VEGANS OF THE WORLD REJOICE!

Normally, I can tell a sorbet has no dairy or egg by both its flavor and its texture.  Sorbets tend to be fruity, light flavors with an icy texture that melts down into a syrupy sugar-water.  Dark Chocolate Sorbet was the antithesis of that.  Despite the absence of cream and egg, this sorbet had an incredibly rich and dense texture.  It's the most ice cream-like sorbet I've ever had.  It melted down into a thick froth rather than a liquid.  I'm interested to know if this texture was due to the chocolate, the way Sweet Science makes their sorbet, or a bit of both.  Despite the rich and creamy texture, this dessert was still refreshing.  It was a totally bizarre and wonderful juxtaposition.


The flavor was one of the purest chocolate flavors I've ever tasted.  Since the flavor is vegan, there was no milk in the chocolate and no cream in the base to dilute the chocolate flavor.  The taste was somewhere in between a dark cocoa powder and a bar of dark chocolate.  If you've ever tried to cut a bar of dark chocolate, you know that little bits flake off during the process.  This sorbet tasted exactly like those bits.  It was a lovely dry and bitter flavor (like good dark chocolate should taste).

Does that look like sorbet to you? Because it sure does not look like sorbet to me!
Vegan or non-vegan, Sweet Science's Dark Chocolate Sorbet is a totally unique and delicious experience worth seeking out.  Talent just came out with a Dark Chocolate Sorbetto, and I'm excited to get my hands on a pint to compare it to this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd