Dairy Queen Red Velvet Cake Blizzard

Alright, folks, I took Madeline up on her suggestion. I would definitely fancy myself a red velvet cake connoisseur and I am incredibly picky about red velvet cake frozen dairy treats. For example, Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake ice cream, in my opinion, tastes like cream cheese frosting with a hint of cake. Which I guess is fine if they called it Cream Cheese Frosting ice cream, but they didn't. I love cream cheese frosting, but when you get a slice of red velvet cake, there is usually more cake than frosting. Knowing my feelings on this, Madeline, after recently trying Dairy Queen's Red Velvet Cake Blizzard, recommended I try it.



While traveling last weekend to a conference, I stopped a Dairy Queen to give this Blizzard a try. This Blizzard is described as A mix of creamy soft serve, decadent red velvet cake pieces and cream cheese frosting. So delicious, it's sure to be love at first bite. 

Cream cheese frosting can be an overpowering flavor, and I think its best in moderation. In this Blizzard the cream cheese frosting flavor was lightened by the vanilla soft serve, which was a nice combo. The cake pieces broke up throughout the pint to give the whole Blizzard a red velvet flavor and added texture. However, there were also some cake pieces that survived the swirling process. These were about the size of a penny, and was denser than I expected. Dairy Queen was not messing around with their cake pieces. They were also super moist and chewy. I do, however, wish there were more. There were only a handful in the mini-size Blizzard.



All in all, Madeline was right. I loved this Blizzard. The vanilla soft serve worked really well with the cream cheese frosting, without drowning the cream cheese flavor out. The cake pieces were surprisingly high quality for Dairy Queen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd