Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter Core

About a month ago, I wistfully imagined a Ben and Jerry's chocolate cake batter flavor.  It seemed like my prayers would be answered with the new Brownie Batter Core.  Alas, it was not to be.

Brownie Batter Core is described as

Chocolate and vanilla ice creams with fudge brownies and a brownie batter core.



I'm about to rip into this flavor, so let me clarify that this ice cream was not objectively bad, it was just sub-par for what it should have been.  First the base flavors.  Ben and Jerry's does not have a strong vanilla base or a strong chocolate base.  To me their vanilla base tastes like gross, fake vanilla.  It's not the worst on the market, but far from the best.  The chocolate is not actually that bad, I just expect a brand like Ben and Jerry's who excels in ridiculously decadent flavors specifically designed to help you get over your break-up to have a killer chocolate base.  The chocolate and vanilla bases together were just blah.  I would have been happier with literally any other two flavors.  Sweet cream, coffee, and brownie batter core?  Sign me up!

D'awwwww look at the little swirly!

Arrggghhhh, this flavor was so promising.  I had to pry off the lid because the brownie batter core was so thick and gooey.  I obviously tried a bite of the core without anything else first.  It was like someone took brownie batter and swirled in some fudge.  It was heavenly.  I don't know how it's possible, but I lost that flavor to the base ice cream.  Any time I had a core mixed with the base, I couldn't taste the core! I couldn't taste the best part of the ice cream! I don't understand how this was possible.


The brownie bits were smaller and crunchier than typical Ben and Jerry's mix-ins.  If you could actually taste the brownie batter core, the size reduction would have been welcome.  As it was, they provided the only real brownie flavor and I wished they were the normal large, moist, chewy brownies.

If you're a Ben and Jerry's completionist or don't mind their vanilla and chocolate bases you could try this flavor.  Otherwise I'd go for one of the other new cores.  Or just Boom Chocolatta from the Cookie core line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd