Conny's Creamy Cone

It's officially summer!! Just kidding, that was my exasperation with the semester talking. But it is, as of today, officially spring! And that means seasonal ice cream shops are opening up, hooray! As you may know, Madeline and I spent half of spring break in Iowa City and the other half in Minneapolis. Luckily for us, Conny's Creamy Cone, over in St. Paul, opened up right when our spring break's started.



At first glance, Conny's Creamy Cone, may seem like any other neighborhood soft serve shop. It's seasonal, with only outdoor seating, super cheap, and also serves lots of fried food. However, Conny's is a little bit more interesting than that. Why? Because Conny's has 24 flavors of soft serve! They also have malts and shakes, flurries (soft serve with mix-ins), and 4 different kinds of dip cones! I don't think I've ever been to a soft serve shop with more than just vanilla and chocolate. Obviously, Madeline and I had to check it out, despite the fact that it was in the mid-30s when we drove over on Friday.



Lizzy's take: I decided to get a small amaretto cone and I asked for a chocolate dip. Of course, I did not see the sign right in front of my face telling me they could only do dip cones for their vanilla, chocolate, or twist flavors, because the flavored soft serve is too soft. Luckily, the servers at Conny's are my kind of people. The guy taking my order asked if, instead, I wanted him to mix the chocolate dip into the the amaretto soft serve. I was like um yes, also will you be my best friend?

This was a size small cone. They also have kiddie, medium, large, and waffle cones!


But the question is, why can't they dip their flavored cones? Well I peeked in while they were making our cones. First I saw the server dispense vanilla soft serve into a bowl. Then I saw him add some pumps of flavoring into the bowl and mix. So there you have it, mystery solved. Adding the flavoring probably makes the flavored soft-serves just a bit too liquidy to withstand a dip.



Amaretto is an almond liqueur and almond extract is one of my favorite flavors in the world. Almond cookies? Yes, please. Marzipan? Thank you very much. This soft-serve had a great amaretto flavor. It was quite sweet and had a slight alcohol flavor, with a strong base of almond extract. The chocolate dip ended up acting like chocolate flakes throughout the cone. The bittersweetness of the chocolate balanced out the sweet and nutty flavor of the amaretto.

I was very impressed with Conny's. Having all sorts of flavors of soft serve is super fun, and they do it in low-tech, but high quality way, which keeps the prices down, like any good, old-school soft serve place!

Madeline's take: I heard about Conny's Creamy Cone last fall right after they closed for the season and I was super disappointed that I couldn't check them out for months.  Finally, spring came (although it's been in the 30s and 40s with snow flurries, ummmmm ........ no) and Conny's Creamy Cone re-opened for the season!

While my first emotion upon arriving was excitement that I would finally get to try Conny's Creamy Cone, my second emotion was slight panic/anticipation. You see, I like to check things off of lists.  This means I like to try every flavor of ice cream offered by a brand or ice cream shop.  Conny's Creamy Cone offers 24 flavors of soft serve, which is a totally reasonable number of flavors to try!


I chose apricot soft serve, and upon tasting my it, my panic abated a bit and I got excited again; excited to try every flavor!  You can't really see it in the picture above, but the apricot soft serve was a very pretty light peach color.  Have you ever had Peach Rings? If there was an equivalent apricot gummy candy, that is what this soft-serve tasted like.  It was lightly flavored, which I think worked well, but if you're looking for a stronger flavor I would go with something more traditional.

I believe I will be making several pilgrimages to Conny's this summer to try more of their amazing-sounding soft-serve flavors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd