Sweet Science Cinnamon Miel

If there is one thing Sweet Science does exceptionally well it is coffee ice cream.  I reviewed and thoroughly enjoyed their flavor The Big Easy, a heavenly coffee and chicory concoction, and Kyle ate an entire pint of their Coffee and Toffee ice cream without leaving me a single bite.  You can be assured there was lots of yelling that night along the lines of, "How could you do that!? THAT WAS A TEN DOLLAR PINT OF ICE CREAM AND I DIDN'T GET TO EAT ANY!  RAWWRRRRGGGGHHHH."  Needless to say, Kyle now always saves me some ice cream or buys dedicated 'Kyle pints.'  There are some drawbacks to being the boyfriend of an ice cream blogger.

See!? See!? This is what all coffee ice cream should aspire too! Beautiful.

When I saw Cinnamon Miel a few months ago, there was no question in my mind that I needed a pint.  Although 'miel' just means 'honey' in Spanish, so this pint description doesn't actually imply there is coffee involved; it is based on the coffee drink Cafe con Miel or Cafe Miel is espresso with milk, honey, cinnamon, and sometimes nutmeg.  I consider myself moderately coffee aware.  I go to coffee shops and have definite opinions about whether a coffee is good or bad, but probably wouldn't order a ristretto espresso (is that even how you would order that?).  This means there is a chance I was just oblivious to the existence of the Cafe Miel, but I feel like it's become a 'thing' recently.  At least at 'thing' at coffee shops near the University of Minnesota.  Whatever the case, I love them, so I was excited to try it in ice cream form.

Sweet Science hit it out of the park with this flavor described as

Smooth, local honey sweetens the perfect blend of coffee and cream.  A little dash of cinnamon, and your favorite new coffee shop drink -- and ice cream flavor -- is born.



This is the perfect coffee base.  It actually tastes like coffee.  Like someone took a metric ton of sugar and cream and dumped it into coffee, but coffee nonetheless.  Also, I could see the coffee grounds.  This gave the ice cream an interesting texture.  It wasn't gritty or bad, but I could definitely tell there was actual coffee in the ice cream.  Maybe I would describe it as slightly sandy, but a very soft and fluffy sand.  Also, the ice cream was a bit foamy, like a lovely cappuccino.


The honey and cinnamon flavors were perfectly understated.  The honey taste came after the coffee in intensity, and added a rich, almost spicy, sweetness to the coffee.  The cinnamon flavor was just the slightest hint of cinnamon on the end of the flavor profile.  It was perfect.

This flavor could have been garish with more pronounced honey and cinnamon flavors, so I am glad Sweet Science decided to go the subtle route. It tasted like a good Cafe Miel, where the honey and cinnamon play supporting roles to the espresso.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd