Ben & Jerry's Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Core

Finally we have the last of the new Ben & Jerry's Core flavors for you, and it's a joint review!  This flavor is

Chocolate and Cheesecake ice creams with chocolate cookies and a cheesecake core.


Madeline's take: I don't know, guys. I think Ben & Jerry's tried really hard to top last year's cookie cores, and didn't even come close.  In concept the flavors sound amazing, but the execution was lacking.  I've read other reviews of this flavor and the main criticism is that it's not cheesy enough, and I have to say I agree but that I'm not surprised either.  Ben & Jerry's does not have a strong cheesecake game.

The chocolate ice cream was their standard chocolate base; not much needs to be said there.  The cheesecake ice cream was not cheesy enough.  It tasted more like sweet cream ice cream with a bit of added cream cheese.


I couldn't really taste the chocolate cookies against the chocolate or the cheesecake base, and they also didn't have a distinct texture.

Like the base, the core was not cheesy enough.  I think if the cheesecake ice cream had been cheesier, I would have really enjoyed the core.  It had a much different consistency than the other cores.  It was thicker and smoother, almost like a pudding.  Actually, I would totally eat the pudding version of this core.

Lizzy's take: This is the first of the new cores I've eaten, because either Iowa City stores suck at getting new ice cream flavors, or I am going to the wrong stores. I'm probably going to the wrong stores, which I will be correcting soon by hitting up the Target out in Coralville and Wal-Mart in the next few weeks. So I'm still holding out hope that the other cores will be better even though I've read enough review of them to have low expectations.

Typical of other Ben & Jerry's cores, there was way more core at the top of the pint than the bottom.


I wish I had eaten a Ben & Jerry's cheesecake flavor more recently, especially Cheesecake Brownie, so I could make some comparisons here. However, I agree with Madeline, this was not cheesey enough. The chocolate base really did take over in the flavor. The core tasted more strongly of cheesecake than the cheesecake base ice cream, but I only got strong punches of cheesecake when I scooped the core on its own. The chocolate cookies just contributed to the chocolate dominance of this flavor.

Madeline and I spent a long time trying to figure out what the core reminded us of. We settled on pudding (I'm thinking a vanilla cheesecake flavored pudding), while I was also thinking the custard center of a donut. It reminded me of these things because of both the flavor and the texture. The texture of the core was unusually smooth, again like pudding or custard filling, except way more dense and viscous. I don't normally think of cheesecake as being slick and smooth like this core was.

All in all, this flavor was a let down. Call it Vanilla Chocolate Pudding Pie Core, and this flavor would have been amazing. But as is, this was not nearly cheesecake-y enough. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd