Ben and Jerry's Coconuts for Caramel Core

I've started seeing the new Ben and Jerry's core flavors in stores, and recently reviewed the one I was most excited about, Brownie Batter Core.  Unfortunately, this flavor was underwhelming and just didn't do it for me.  Luckily, Coconuts for Caramel Core restored some of my faith in Ben and Jerry's.  For the TLDR: the core wasn't that great, but HOLY COCONUTS, BATMAN one of the base flavors blew me away. (Can you guess which one?)

Coconuts for Caramel is described as 

Caramel and Sweet Cream Coconut ice cream with fudge flakes and a caramel core.


First for the caramel base.  I thought this was a recycled flavor from one of the cookie cores, but it turns out Spectacular Speculoos used a Dark Caramel ice cream.  I think these two caramel flavors were pretty similar, but maybe the caramel ice cream here was a bit lighter.  It had a nice light and round flavor, almost like a Werther's Caramel hard candy.  It wasn't something to write home about, but a is a solid workhorse that that performs its job of adding a touch of sweetness adequately. 


The caramel core was the same as in Karamel Sutra, so if you have that, you know what's going on here.  Again, it was good, but not fantastic.  It had a nice gooey texture, and a more intense caramel flavor than the base.  It actually worked quite well with the caramel base and it was nice to have two different caramel notes mixing together.


The Sweet Cream Coconut ice cream stole the goddamn show.  Wow. This ice cream had huge chunks of coconut flakes, so big and thick they made the ice cream almost impossible to scoop.  (In these situations I'm glad I own a $50, aerospace-engineer-designed ice cream scoop.)  I mean, I would almost describe this as a bag of sweetened coconut flakes with some ice cream mixed in rather than ice cream with coconut mixed in.  The fudge flakes were the same ones B&J's always uses, meaning they were awesome.  They added just enough chocolate to deepen and balance the strong coconut flavor.  Ben and Jerry's should think about producing this as a solo flavor.  I would eat so much of it.

Just for the coconut ice cream, go out and try this new core!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd