New Orleans Ice Cream Lemon Doberge Cake

Our next New Orleans Ice Cream Co. review is Lemon Doberge Cake.  Now, we are not from New Orleans so had to do a bit of research into what a Doberge cake actually is.  Turns out it is a layer cake whose thin cake layers alternate with layers of pudding.  Ummmm, get at me Doberge!

New Orleans Ice Cream Co.'s take on this cake is

This twist on a New Orleans dessert classic has tangy lemon sauce and real lemon cake in our citrus lemon ice cream.




Madeline's take: I always underestimate how well lemon and dairy go together, so a delicious lemon ice cream will always take me by surprise and New Orleans Ice Cream Co.'s Lemon Doberge is no exception.  The citrus lemon ice cream had a soft and sweet rather than sharp and tart lemon flavor.  The lemon sauce had a nice zing to it that worked really well to complement the lemon of the base.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of the sauce.  I could have done with about 5 times as much sauce in the pint compared to the amount actually there.


Some of the lemon cake pieces were a bit hard and dry, but as the ice cream melted it soaked into the cake (Cafe au Lait & Beignets had this same issue - maybe you just need to let the ice cream temper for 10 minutes before you eat it).  The softer, ice-creamed soaked cake pieces were dense and chewy, giving this flavor some different textures.

Lizzy's take: I'm going to have to disagree with Madeline just a little bit. While I have had tangier lemon ice cream, and this flavor was definitely sweet, I did think this flavor was pretty tart. Three Twin's Lemon Cookie, on the other hand, was doing a much more sweet lemon-frosting thing, while this flavor had a bit more flavor of lemon zest.



Other than that I agree with Madeline's take. There was so little sauce that I can't even tell you anything about the texture of it. It did add a punch of tart when you did get some of the swirl. And although the pieces of lemon cake were a bit hard and a bit too dense (which it seems like might be a theme of New Orleans flavors), it did have the nice iced flavor of iced lemon cake. I'm not sure if "iced" is a flavor, but I think you know what I mean. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd