New Orleans Ice Cream Company Po'Boy Ice Cream Sandwiches

There's been quite a lot of hype over here as of late over all the awesome New Orleans ice cream flavors. However, we cannot forget the ice cream sandwiches they sent me. Madeline and I are both not very good about reviewing ice cream treats, like sandwiches and bars. The main reason? They're usually not big enough. I usually eat an ice cream treat and feel the need to eat a couple of cookies or something to top it off. But lots of ice cream companies have been upping their treat game, so Madeline and I were excited to try these Po'Boys. I, personally, am also much more excited about this ice cream version of a Po'Boy, as a standard Po'Boy is a sandwich made with some kind of meat (gross) served on French bread.



New Orleans sent me 4 total, two each of two flavors, Vanilla Bean and Creole Cream Cheese. They are both described as All Natural Ultra Premium Ice Cream, Chocolate Cookie Sandwich Dipped in Milk Chocolate.



Lizzy's take: Creole Cream Cheese was the only flavor (besides the seasonal flavors) New Orleans didn't send me. After eating this Creole Cream Cheese Sandwich I am hugely disappointed. The cream cheese flavor didn't really stand out over all of the chocolatey goodness going on in these sandwiches. But I tore apart my sandwich to get some of the cream cheese ice cream on its own, and man it was amazing. This ice cream was cheesy and even tangy, especially compared to the wimpy B&J cheesecake core. I really want to buy this base flavor and make some amazing sundaes out of it. The vanilla was also pretty good, but there was so much chocolate, I wouldn't write a review of this flavor from sandwich alone. 




The rest of the sandwiches just keeps upping the ante. The chocolate cookies were massively thick, moist, and chewy. Madeline and I decided that they weren't cookies, but were actually cookie-brownie hybrids. They also would pretty crumbly, but the chocolate coating held them together. And after eating these sandwiches, I have decided all ice cream sandwiches should be coated with chocolate. The problem of the cookie getting stuck all over your fingers? Solved.

Cross section of Vanilla Bean


Lastly, these sandwiches were actually big enough to satisfy me! So amazing.

Cross section of Creole Cream Cheese

Madeline's take: I don't have a ton to add on to what Lizzy already said.  She did a really good job of describing these sandwiches and I agree with everything she said.  I cannot commend New Orleans Ice Cream Company enough on their decision to coat the whole damn sandwich in a hard chocolate shell! BRILLIANT!  It allowed the standard, slightly unsatisfying ice cream sandwich cookie to be replaced by a wonderful brownie/cookie hybrid.  This brownie/cookie was moist and dense.  It was soft, and would have absolutely failed on its own in an ice cream sandwich, but luckily the chocolate coating was there to hold everything together.  Finally, as Lizzy said, these were definitely bigger than your standard, pre-packaged ice cream sandwich, which I thought was awesome.  High fives and thumbs up all around for these po'boys!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd