New Orleans Ice Cream Co. Praline Crunch

Aside from some ice cream sandwiches, this review of Praline Crunch will be the last New Orleans Ice Cream Co. review that we do together.  Lizzy is on her own for the rest!  This ice cream is

Our delicately flavored praline ice cream with crunchy whole caramel pecans. A N'awlins favorite.



Madeline's take: I'm pretty sure the words "HOLY SHIT!" came out of both my and Lizzy's mouths the second we bit into this ice cream.  It was that good.

Before I talk about this ice cream, I want to talk about what it reminded me.  To me, it tasted exactly like the cereal Waffle Crisp.  Or like waffles smothered in pecans, maple syrup, and butter.  In fact, I would totally eat this ice cream on top of a waffle and underneath some syrup.

It seems a bit weird to me that the base flavor was described as 'praline ice cream.'  I've always thought of praline as a dessert involving pecans rather than a flavor, but I suppose if you've ever had the American version of a praline (pictured below), the base tastes like the creamy bit of the confection.


While the base was somewhat buttery, the caramel pecans brought a more pure sweetness to the flavor.  The inherent sweetness of pecans worked well in this flavor where a more savory nut would not have worked, but it did have enough nuttiness to offset the sweetness of the caramel.  I'm not even talking sense here, that's how good this ice cream was.  Hopefully Lizzy can give you a better and less confusing idea of how amazing this flavor was.

Lizzy's take: This ice cream was one of the sweetest flavors I've ever had. But somehow it wasn't too sweet. Madeline called on me to make some sense of this flavor, and I don't think I'm going to help. This flavor had every different kind of sweet. There was the flavor of brown sugar sweet, maple syrup sweet, caramel sweet, just everything. The flavor of the pecans, which have their own kind of natural sweetness, just added to this fabulous sweet menagerie.



However, this flavor was definitely not too sweet. I'm not entirely sure how that's possible, but this flavor was amazing. It was nutty and buttery, and I think that helped prevent it from being too sweet. The pecans also added some nice crunch. I would have liked a few more pecans, but honestly this flavor was so totally amazing. I think it might be THE best flavor in the New Orleans line up!

Comments

  1. It use to be call pecan crunch ice cream is the same

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd