Sweet Science Pear Riesling Sorbet

Pear Riesling Sorbet is the second pint I picked up at the recent Sweet Science tasting.  If I took a poll and asked people which fruit is most underutilized for desserts, I bet pears would be among the top answers.  Pear is a very delicate flavor, and I think it is very easy to lose it amidst spices or creaminess.  It's easier to avoid pear altogether than it is to experiment and find something that works.  Thank goodness Sweet Science didn't take the easy route!  I mean, do I even have to write a rewiew? This was top notch.




The texture was perfection.  It was dense, smooth, and soft, but distinctly icy.  Ok, analogy time.  This sorbet is to shaved ice as shaved ice is to crushed ice.


This sorbet tasted exactly like pears.  Maybe not like a plain pear, but more like a really lightly poached pear in a light, sweet syrup.  Also, maybe not like Bradford pears, but more like Bosc pears, which have a slightly denser, more savory quality.  The riesling played a supporting role to the pear, giving the sorbet a hint of acidity and some added richness.  The flavor was quite sweet, and I think without the riesling element it would have been cloying.  As it was I vacillated between 'wow this is really rich and sweet and I only need to eat a small scoop to feel happy' and 'ZER MER GERD this is so good and I need to eat the entire pint!'  I bet you can guess which thought process won out.  A normal person, however, would probably be content with a small serving.


This review is really short because this flavor is quite simple.  Please do not confuse simple with bad or boring, as this sorbet was neither.  Pear Riesling Sorbet is available year-round, so go out and get a pint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd