New-To-Me Brand Alert: Gelato Petrini Cinnamon Espresso Chip

On a recent trip to Tim and Tom's (oh praise that bastion of rich, white suburanity which carries such a diverse and high-priced selection of ice cream!) I saw a new brand of Gelato, Gelato Petrini.  They seem to be a gelato shop based in Florida who have recently expanded into the retail market.  Obviously I had to pick up a pint.  They had several delicious-looking flavors, but I settled on Cinnamon Espresso Chip.  This is described as

Our take on a deconstructed cappuccino.  True Ceylon cinnamon is used to spice up this gelato.  We then blend in fresh milk and cream to help temper some of the heat and bring out cinnamon's softer side.  Finally we fold these beautiful dark roasted espresso chips that transform the ordinary into the totally sublime.



Holy. Crap.  This was, hands down, some of the best gelato I have ever had.  It's texture was amazing.  It was squishy and silky and smooth and rich and thick and creamy all at the same time.

This was easily the best cinnamon gelato/ice cream I've ever had.  Now, I like me a spicy cinnamon flavor, don't get me wrong, but this was going for the complete opposite end of the spectrum and Gelato Petrini totally nailed it.  It reminded me a bit of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  But not just plain old Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  As if some fancy shmancy chef did a 'my take on sugary breakfast cereals' type deal.

So how do I describe this in a more helpful way?  It didn't taste like cinnamon so much as it tasted like cinnamon-sugar.  It was perfection.  The cinnamon was mellow and flavorful but without bite.  I thought I was tasting something more than cinnamon, but couldn't put my finger on it.  After I finished this pint, I took a look at the ingredients and saw that this flavor contained chicory.  It served to deepen the flavor and give it a bit more complexity.  Also Ceylon cinnamon. That's all I'll say.  If you've not experienced this epiphany, get thee to thy local spice emporium and pick up some Ceylon cinnamon.

Just bask in the glory that is this gelato!

Just when I thought things couldn't get any better I got an espresso chip.  These espresso chips were so strongly flavored that they tasted exactly like a chocolate covered espresso bean.  There was a wonderful, deep bitterness mellowed out just enough by a flavor of dark chocolate.  This was the perfect complement to the mild cinnamon base.

This flavor was amazing, and I'll be hunting down more flavors soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd