Haagen-Dazs White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle

For me, this is THE ice cream flavor. I don't necessarily think this is the best ice cream flavor of all time. However, this ice cream flavor sort of opened my eyes to ice cream being more than Moose Tracks, cookie dough, mint, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. This flavor showed me ice cream was something you could have a lot of opinions about; you could be passionate about it. This might be the first flavor I was ever truly passionate about.

So it is about damn time I review it.



The description reads White chocolate ice cream swirled with tangy raspberry ribbons and satisfying chunks of chocolate fudge truffles.



I'm going to enter into my review with the word tangy. I don't know if I can describe to you the difference between tangy and tart. Possibly tart is more sour, while tangy has more of a kick? I'm not sure, but this swirl is definitely tart and tangy. More so than actual raspberries. However, this swirl also tasted like real raspberries and was sweet. Texture-wise, the swirl is rather solid as opposed to liquidy, but still a bit ooey gooey. The swirl is also prevalent. I doubt you could get a bite without it and I don't know why you would want to. In some spots it gets kind thin, but is usually moderate in thickness.

The tartness and tanginess of this flavor work well within the context of the other flavors. The white chocolate base is rich. Like I struggle to eat a lot of the flavor in one sitting because of how rich it is. But I also love this flavor so much, when I do eat it, I usually end up eating the whole pint in one sitting (as I did this time). The base isn't necessarily incredibly flavorful, but it weightier and, in my opinion, makes the ice cream more sophisticated than a vanilla base would. The tangy raspberry swirl gives a nice contrast to the base flavor.



Lastly the chocolate fudge truffles. These guys. Oh boy. They are a touch bigger than a big blueberry. They are soft and fudgey, but have enough bite to give this flavor some texture. They are dark and bitter enough to mellow out the sweetness of base flavor, but sweet enough to mellow out the tangy swirl. There are also little flecks of them throughout the ice cream, in addition to the intact truffles. You won't get an intact truffle in every bite, but you will have chocolate in every bite.

Everybody knows dark chocolate and raspberry are a match made in the ice cream heavens. But hiding up there in the clouds is white chocolate. Thank goodness for Haagen-Dazs figuring out that white chocolate turns dark chocolate and raspberry from a power couple to THE power trio.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd