Ben and Jerry's Wal-Mart Exclusive: Strawberry Not So Shortcake

I picked up Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Not So Shortcake, a Wal-Mart exclusive flavor, on my recent ice cream purchasing binge.  This flavor is

Strawberry Cake Ice Cream with Strawberries & Shortbread Pieces.


If you thought there was no room for invention left in the ice cream world, you were wrong.  I've seen cake ice cream, cake batter ice cream, and strawberry ice cream, but I've never seen strawberry cake ice cream.  I recently bought a can of strawberry frosting that I'm pretty sure was from Pilbury, but it was some sort of special edition "Strawberry Something" flavor that I can't find online.  This ice cream tasted exactly like that frosting in all of its fake, palm oil-filled glory.  I don't know that I've ever had strawberry cake, but looking at recipes, it seems most are flavored and colored using strawberry Jell-O, so I imagine the taste is similar.  Either way, it is definitely distinct from normal strawberry ice cream.


I feel like this is a potentially decisive flavor.  Some people will definitely hate the flavor of the base, but I love it!

The shortbread pieces were soft and chewy dense.  They had a distinct buttery flavor, as shortbread should!  This flavor really came out the most when it was contrasted with the strawberry base, so I would recommend trying to get bites with both cake and ice cream.  They were also frequent enough that I got one about every other bite.

The strawberry chunks were pretty standard.  I wish they were a bit juicier, but I that's true of 99% of mix-in strawberries.  The flavor of real strawberries was a nice contrast to the strawberry cake base.

The Ben and Jerry's Wal-Mart exclusives have been consistently good, and this flavor is no exception.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd