Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Caramel Pizzelle Italian Style Frozen Dessert Bars

I feel like I have been aware of the existence of a wide range of Haagen-Dazs ice cream or gelato bar products, but I hardly see them in stores. I finally used the last of the Haagen-Dazs coupons Madeline gave to me when I was at Target and stumbled upon these guys, and I snatched them up!



The description of these bars is Golden caramel ribbons in creamy vanilla gelato, enrobed in rich milk chocolate and pizzelle cookie pieces.

So basically these bars are the gelato bar version of Caramel Cone.



I don't think I have ever seen the word "enrobed" used in an ice cream description. I think this word is pushing it a bit too far with the flowery language being used in ice cream descriptions. I get ice cream companies want to make their descriptions sound luscious and decadent, but this is ice cream, not a gown.



Now, I did not know what a pizzelle cookie was until writing this review. According to my favorite source of information for desserts, Wikipedia, a pizzelle a traditional Italian waffle cookie made with flour, eggs, sugar, and butter. They are thin, made with an iron (like a waffle iron), and can be crunchy or soft.



The pizzelle cookies in these bars were definitely of the crunchy variety. They were sweet and small, and the crunchiness almost reminded me of little sugar granules or something. The vanilla gelato, or I guess Italian style frozen dessert, was pretty standard; sweeter as opposed to strongly vanilla flavored. The caramel ribbons, were surprisingly salty. They were a dark, complex caramel, which I think is the best for a salted caramel. The ribbons were also thick and not liquidy. The caramel and the pizzelle pieces were the best part of these bars. Lastly, I couldn't decide how I felt about the milk chocolate. I would expect this product to have dark chocolate, since Haagen-Dazs's gelato line is generally going for a sophisticated theme. I like salted caramel to be paired with bitter dark chocolate, and I don't know how I feel about the milk chocolate here. It was incredibly sweet and milky. I think this bar was sweeter than I expected.



All in all, I enjoyed this product and I'll keep hunting for more of the illusive Haagen-Dazs bars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd