New-to-Me Brand Alert! Thelma's Signature Snickerdoodle Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich

The first time I shopped at the HyVee by my house I was pretty underwhelmed by the ice cream selection. There were enough of the big national brands and Whitey's which is an Iowa brand, but nothing else. Sad day. However, the second or third time I was there, I noticed there was one freezer of ice cream separate from the rest of the ice cream. This contain the teeny Ben & Jerry's and Haagen-Dazs containers and other single serving ice cream treats. This included individually wrapped Thelma's ice cream sandwiches.



Thelma's Treats started out as a cookie delivery business back in 2012 in Des Moines by a guy names Derek Lewis. Derek's grandmother was, as you may suspect, named Thelma, and she made delicious cookies. In 2013, Thelma, the woman herself, passed away at age 108! Pretty impressive, Thelma. Also in 2013, Thelma's started making ice cream sandwiches, which were delivered to Des Moines area HyVees. They've been pretty popular, so now you can get them outside of Des Moines, like in Iowa City!

Thelma's sells 7 flavors of ice cream sandwiches, and I think my HyVee carries 5. I was torn about which flavor to try first. However, not long ago, my dad was disappointed I didn't try the snickerdoodle flavor offered by a scoop shop, so I decided to appease him by getting the snickerdoodle ice cream sandwich. It is also apparently Thelma's "signature" flavor, so I figured it was a good place to start.



I'm going to start right off with my one critique of this product. The wrapper. The plastic wrapper, similar to saran wrap, is difficult to remove. I was pulling at it for a while, and making no progress, and my ice cream was melting, so I got out a pair of scissors to cut the wrapper, and ended up getting ice cream all over my scissors.



However, everything else about this treat was fabulous! The cookies were so moist and chewy but they were solid enough to hold the ice cream and disintegrate as you ate the treat. I got a bit of cinnamon on my fingers, but no goopy sticky mess! Flavor-wise, these cookies were like the best sugar cookie dough you've ever had, and then add a bunch of cinnamon to them. Yum.

The ice cream was also delicious. It had a similar flavor to the cookies, but less of a cookie flavor and more of a cinnamon flavor. The ice cream was even a touch spicy, as opposed to the super sweetness of the cookie.

Size wise these were perfect. After having an average size dinner, I ate this treat. I started feeling full and not as interested in the sandwich right as I had one bite left. This ice cream sandwich will fill you up, for sure, and be gone right before it becomes too much to manage. Aka the perfect size. The ice cream to cookie ratio was also stellar. The cookies sort of had the spotlight, as one would expect from an ice cream sandwich made by a cookie company, but there was enough of each element!

Best part about this treat? There are no nutrition facts. Thus, we can only conclude this sandwich has 0 calories! Hurray!



I will definitely be trying the other flavors of Thelma's ice cream sandwiches soon!

Is cinnamon sauce a thing? http://qctimes.com/business/mama-bosso-ice-cream-sandwich-company-partner-on-distribution/article_119b2f56-4c73-56b4-a242-671b498baad5.html 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd