Edy's Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard

After thoroughly enjoying Edy's Salted Caramel Pretzel Frozen Custard, I thought I would give this relatively new line a third shot. So far I have had one bad experience, with the Chocolate Malt flavor, and one good one. This flavor can serve as the tie breaker!



I want to start by telling you there is no description of this flavor anywhere on the container.

However, on the Edy's website, the description reads A rich and creamy blend of sweet cream frozen custard with plenty of chocolate cookie pieces and peanut butter swirls in every bite.



When I first ate this flavor, I assumed the base was vanilla. It is odd that vanilla is considered our default neutral base, when vanilla is a flavored ice cream, as opposed to sweet cream. As I was eating this flavor, there was something different about it compared to what I was expecting it to taste like. Something I couldn't quite put my finger on. When I looked on the Edy's website for the description, and found this flavor is made with a sweet cream base, not a vanilla base, I found my answer. I was tasting cream! I enjoyed being able to taste the cream in this flavor. I haven't made peanut butter pie, but I would assume you make it with a lot of cream. Thus, the sweet cream base in this flavor made it taste more like peanut butter pie, than a peanut butter chocolate ice cream.



Now the swirl and the cookies. Yes you did get swirl and cookie in every bite, as the description claims. However, this flavor had cookie crumbs and bigger cookie chunks. You did not get a cookie chunk in ever bite. Which is okay. The peanut butter filling, not the crust, is the star of a peanut butter pie. These pieces were softer and more moist than an Oreo or other chocolate cookie would be. Again, more resembling the dessert in question than a peanut butter chocolate ice cream, since you probably add butter or something to chocolate cookies to make a chocolate cookie crust. Lastly, the swirls. The swirls were soft and smooth and incredibly sweet. Like, sweeter than the inside of a Reese's sweet. I prefer my peanut butter to have a bit more peanut to it than these swirls. But this flavor was going for sweet dessertiness, and they accomplished it.



As I've said of Edy's frozen custard texture before, it is smoother, creamier, and has less air than standard Edy's, but it isn't top quality frozen custard.

All in all, a good frozen custard from Edy's worth a try!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd