Scrumptious: Amaretto and Chocolate Blackberry

After spending a couple of days in Omaha, Madeline and I and the rest of the Handschy gang loaded up and drove to Arvada, CO to spend a few days with our grandparents. Arvada is a suburb of Denver, and one of the best of ice cream shops in the Denver area, Scrumptious, has a location in Arvada. Madeline and I have both been there before and have had nothing but amazing ice cream, so we were excited for the opportunity to stop by again.

So the MO on Scrumptious is they do simple flavors, some unique, some more traditional, with a high quality base. Yeah, they don't do a ton of crazy mix-ins, but they make damn good ice cream. Like 10% overrun good. And clearly a high butter fat percentage. Also they give you HUGE portions for the price.

The day Madeline and I went there were mostly traditional flavors, or a couple I'd already tried. However, as you probably know, I'm a sucker for Amaretto, and that was one of the flavors they had, so my choice wasn't too difficult to make.



Amaretto is a liqueur made with almonds, and has a wonderful almond extract flavor. It's sweet, and nutty. I also recently learned that some amarettos are also made with apricot pits, giving them a slight fruity flavor. This ice cream was definitely using or mimicking these amarettos. There was a slight fruity flavor, almost like an orange. That hint of tartness really rounded out the smooth, sweet, and nutty flavor of the almond. Also this ice cream had an incredibly strong flavor. I'm giving this flavor 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones and while eating it spent the entire time wondering you don't see amaretto ice cream more often!

I had a harder time deciding on a flavor than Lizzy did, but I finally settled on Chocolate Blackberry.  This was a dark chocolate base with blackberry flavoring rather than blackberry mix-ins. I was amazed how intense both the chocolate and blackberry flavors remained throughout the whole experience and also how well balanced they were.  Since both are such strong flavors, I imagine it would be pretty easy for the chocolate to overpower the blackberry or vice versa.  It's very rare to find a well-executed blackberry ice cream flavor, and I think this could easily be the best I've ever had.


Scrumptious has two freezers and I think one doesn't freeze ice cream as well because my ice cream was definitely meltier than Lizzy's.

I'm giving this 🍦🍦🍦.5/4 cones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd