Edy's Slow Churned Maine Blueberries and Cream

I'm at kind of a weird stage in my ice cream life.  I've tried most of the new 2016 flavors available in my area, and have tried enough of the flavors from big brands that I have a hard time figuring out what to buy at the grocery store.  I'll probably need to make more of an effort to go to co-ops and different grocery stores or even order ice cream, but in the meantime I've been dipping into brands only offered in larger containers such as Edy's and Blue Bunny.  (I usually avoid anything larger than a pint because I'm a variety whore and like to try as many types of ice cream as possible rather than committing to a large quantity of a single flavor.)

I recently picked up Edy's Slow Churned Maine Blueberries and Cream described as

Vanilla light ice cream with wild 100% Maine blueberries.



LIGHT ICE CREAM?! *gasp* For light ice cream, this actually had a pretty decent texture. I could definitely tell that the fat content wasn't as high as a premium or super premium ice cream but this was disguised a bit by a somewhat sticky (but not unpleasant) texture that made the ice cream feel denser and creamier than it actually was.  As the ice cream melted this illusion began to disintegrate because the resulting liquid was runny rather than thick and creamy.


The vanilla flavor was very light, but this gave a nice canvas for the blueberry flavor to shine.  Oftentimes blueberry flavors taste overly fake and I was really worried Edy's would fall into this pattern, but they managed to avoid this.  It tasted like dried blueberries rather than fresh blueberries, but real dried blueberries. Actually, it tasted a lot like Post Selects Blueberry Mornings cereal. (I am mildly obsessed with this cereal and couldn't stop thinking about it while eating this ice cream).


The blueberries themselves were quite good. They were dried, but still juicy rather than hard and wrinkled. I actually prefer good dried fruit to awkwardly frozen fresh fruit in ice cream.  The base and blueberries had a similar flavor with the blueberries intensifying the flavor of the base.  This ice cream was pretty one-note and I wish it would have had one more mix in with a punch of flavor.  Maybe a super thick blueberry jam or cinnamon pastry pieces.

I'll give this 🍦🍦/4 cones. My main criticism is the flavor monotony, but I really liked the blueberries.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd