Ozzi's Scoop Shop/Magill's Ice Cream

There's nothing better than a day spent in the mountains, finished off with some ice cream in a little mountain town. During our stay in Colorado, the whole fam had a picnic in the mountains and stopped at a little scoop shop in Morrison, CO as we headed home.


This little scoop shop, Ozzi's, served Magill's ice cream. Magill's is made in Lakewood, Colorado. Apparently the Magill's scoop shop in Lakewood serves 32 different flavors everyday and they sell a total of over 80 flavors! While there were only a few flavors available at Ozzi's, there were some pretty interesting looking ones. I chose to get a scoop of Irish Cream. This flavor is described as Irish Cream Ice Cream, layered with Caramel & Chocolate Chips and is made with Bailey's.



At first bite, this ice cream had a wonderful and strong Bailey's flavor. It was cream and didn't really have any alcohol burn. However, as you kept eating, the intensity of the Irish Cream flavor faded a bit. When that happened, the base just tasted sweet and creamy, and maybe even a bit like caramel?



When I read the description I assumed there would be a caramel swirl. However, I never found any and I think it may have just been in the base, but I'm not sure. The texture of the base was pretty good. It had a decent amount of air, but was definitely on the creamier side of things.



Lastly, the chocolate chips were pretty top notch. They were small, but there were a lot of them. They were darker than milk chocolate, but not brittle. They really rounded out the flavor well.
All in all, this was a decent flavor, but the caramel was missed. šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones!

I decided to get Guinness Stout.  I'm not as good an ice cream blogger as Lizzy, I totally forgot to snap a pic of the flavor description, but it was basically a Guinness base with a caramel swirl and chocolate chips.

Like Lizzy described with the Bailey's in her flavor, the flavor of Guinness started very strong but faded quickly.  I think if the Guinness flavor persisted this would be a strong contender for my favorite beer ice cream base.  It makes me think I should have Guinness and vanilla ice cream floats as a bigger part of my life.  Unfortunately, the Guinness flavor did fade, leaving a sweet caramel flavor behind.


I could see the caramel swirl, but the caramel flavor infused the base rather than remaining concentrated in the swirl.  The chocolate chips were small and crunchy and I got at least 3 per bite.  I think the flavor would have been better served by bigger and softer fudge chunks.

I'm only going to give this šŸ¦.5/4 cones. Why? I really wish the Guinness flavor didn't fade so fast. That would have easily made this a 3-coner at least!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd