New Orleans Ice Cream Co. Cherries Jubilee

People of the Internet!! I have done it! I have officially eaten and reviewed all of the flavors in the standard New Orleans Ice Cream Co. line up. I'm very excited and not entirely sure what to do with myself. I'm definitely taking suggestions as to a new ice cream quest I should complete. Try every flavor from another brand? Do a bunch of epic comparison posts, like trying every single different vanilla or chocolate flavor I can get my hands on? What do you all think?

But before I get too ahead of myself planning the next adventure, let me tell you about this flavor. It is described as This Classic New Orleans' Dessert Has Brandy Soaked Cherries In A Creamy Cherry Ice Cream. A Dash Of Orange Liqueur Is Lagniappe.



Prepare yourselves, you are about to learn a lot in this post. First cherries jubilee is a dessert I'd never heard of before. It is essentially flambéed cherries and liqueur. Granted, I think dessert originated in England, but whatever New Orleans can claim it if they want. It's no skin off of my nose.

So basically this is fancy af cherry ice cream. The description even uses a fancy shmancy word I had to look up. In case you're a pleb like me and didn't know, "lagniappe" means: a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase, or something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure.



Now did it taste as good as the description sounds? I'll start with the brandy soaked cherries. There were not a ton of them, and the pieces were on the small side, but these were delicious. They tasted like super fancy maraschino cherries. Did you know maraschino is actually a liqueur and maraschino cherries used to be made by soaking cherries in this liqueur? So much knowledge! The brandy definitely intensified the sweetness of the cherries. The base was pretty phenomenal. I think cherries are one fruit that don't translate very well into desserts trying to imitate the flavor. For me, a cherry basically in any form other than the fresh fruit, doesn't taste like a cherry. And whatever this not-quite-cherry cherry flavor is, I don't love it. This ice cream base, however, was about as close to the taste of fresh cherries as you could get. Lastly, I didn't taste orange liqueur in the base, per se, but I did get an intensification of sweetness and slight alcohol flavor from the orange liqueur.

All in all, I still prefer fresh cherries over most cherry desserts. However, this was a solid flavor and I definitely recommend it to all cherry lovers. 🍦🍦.5/4 cones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd