Sweet Science The Big Easy

Man oh man, Lizzy has been churning out the reviews lately, I have to catch up!

A sequence of somewhat random events led me to the discovery of a new-to-me brand and a possibly new favorite spot to buy ice cream.  A few weeks ago, scrolling through my Facebook timeline, I saw one of my friends was going to an ice cream tasting event at a brewery.  Does it get any better than that!?  I wasn't able to go to that event, but I got curious and researched the brand.  The brand is Sweet Science Ice Cream, a local ice cream maker from St. Paul, Minnesota.  Let me tell you, I was like a kid on Christmas morning looking through their flavors.  THEY HAVE RHUBARB ALMOND CINNAMON AND PEAR RIESLING SORBET AND CARAMEL APPLE CIDER CRISP AND LEMONGRASS GINGER BARK AND OLIVE OIL AND SWEET CORN BLUEBERRY AND BLOOD ORANGE CREAM AND CRANBERRY GRAPEFRUIT SORBET I AM YELLING BECAUSE I AM SO HAPPY OH MY GOD I AM DYING.  dead.

Ugh. Amazing.  They also source as many local ingredients as possible and use organic ingredients.

So obviously I was totally fan-girling (and still am), so I had to find out where to buy some, stat.  The closest place to me was Tim and Tom's Speedy Market.  I've passed by the place before on runs, but always thought it was more of a convenience store place with limited groceries. When I stopped in I was SHOCKED at their ice cream selection.  They had a few flavors of Coolhaus, a bunch of Talenti, some Graeter's, and some Three Twins.  Mwahahahhahaha.  I managed to not buy literally (and I am using 'literal' in the literal sense of the word) $100 worth of ice cream, and only picked up two pints of Sweet Science.

The first flavor I picked up was was Big Easy, with element symbol BE.  Oh, that's another great thing about Sweet Science, they are science themed and have a periodic table of flavors! Fuck yeah science! I picked this one up because the name was not at all descriptive of the flavor.  The flavor description on the pint is

We partnered with the fantastic crew at Five Watts Coffee to make a flavor inspired by their Big Easy drink.  It's a complex flavor of coffee, chicory, the deep flavor of black walnut bitters, and a few dashes of pure genius.  Easy to love.  Easy to drink.  Easy to enjoy as ice cream.




 On to the ice cream! I'll work from great to most great. First, the texture.  This had an excellent texture.  It was the perfect thickness.  It was thick enough to convey a superior quality, but also melted at a nice rate.  I really hate when ice cream is so thick that when it starts to melt it is either liquid or solid with no nice squishiness in the middle.



This flavor was great. The first note I wrote down after taking my first bite was, 'ohhhh....yes.' This is a sweet coffee ice cream done right.  There was a strong flavor of coffee with cream and sugar.  Sometimes coffee ice cream is too sugary, but not this flavor! It was sweet, but there was a nice deep spice that balanced out the sweetness.  I was getting hints of nutmeg, and maybe some cinnamon and brown sugar.  The chicory and black walnut also added to the depth and contributed a slight woodiness to the flavor profile.  This flavor was great.  It had a lot of individual elements that stood out, but also supported and balanced each other.



The one downside to this ice cream is the price point.  This pint came in at $9.69.  Whoooo.  It was good though.  I think this isn't something I would spend 10 dollars on every week, but definitely every once and a while as a treat.  If this is too expensive for you, Sweet Science hosts a free tasting once a month, so you can get your fix for cheap if need be.

Comments

  1. So, what about the other pint? Don't leave us hanging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry it's coming soon! It's Coffee Toffee, so I won't be able to resist for long.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd