Post Marathon Ice Cream: Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Sandwich made with Dad's Cookies

What was I looking forward to the most about running this marathon? Pushing my body to the limit? The exhilaration of crossing the finish line? The camaraderie you experience with the other runners? The Ted Drewes frozen custard sandwiches made with Dad's cookies at the finish line?

I'm going to plead the 5th on this one.

Regardless, after finishing the race and downing a huge water bottle and a huge glass of gatorade within 60 seconds of crossing the line, my stomach kind of turned at all of the bananas, and bars, and snacks and other food offerings being shoved in my face as I stumbled through the finishing area. But then someone shoved a Ted Drewes frozen custard sandwich in my face. And then someone wrapped a space blanket around my shoulders. My day was complete.

So at this point, hopefully all of my dearest readers know about Ted Drewes, so I won't tell you about them. But Dad's Cookies is another cool St. Louis company. According to their website, the company and recipe for this cookie came over to America from Scotland around 1900. The parent company started selling the rights to the company name, and people opened up shop all around the country, making it one of the US's first franchised businesses. In 1927 the St. Louis franchise opened in conjunction with the Carpenter's Ice Cream which had been located on Goodfellow Ave. In 1938 Dad's Cookies moved out of Carpenter's Ice Cream and moved it to Louisiana Ave. Fast forward to today, and the St. Louis Dad's Cookies is THE last Dad's Cookies company in the US that uses the original recipe. Pretty cool.

History lesson over.

Disclaimer: When I ate this sandwich I was literally more tired and in higher calorie debt than I have ever been in my entire life. My tastebuds were not at 100%. I don't think this treat is less amazing than I think it is, but I just shoved it in my face without too much thought about what I was tasting.

This is the best picture I have of the sandwich. I am talking on the phone to Madeline after the race, probably about the sandwich.


This sandwich is serious the best frozen dairy sandwich I have ever had in my life. Dad's cookies, to be specific Dad's Perfect Scotch Oatmeal Cookies, are really spicy. I didn't taste scotch, but I also didn't know these were scotch oatmeal cookies when I was eating them. What I did taste was molasses, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I think. See disclaimer above. But whatever they actually use to make them, these guys pack a strong flavor punch. The smooth, creamy, Ted Drewes vanilla frozen custard really mellowed out the spicy cookie in a nice way.

A pic I found on Google of one of these sandwiches. 


These cookies are also, when bought in store, crunchy cookies. However, the frozen custard softened them up. They were easy to bite into and soft, but not mushy and they weren't disintegrating all over my fingers like you find with some ice cream sandwiches. They were perfect. Part of me wonders, however, if the softness of the cookies was due in part to these guys probably being made in advance for the event. I wonder if the softness would be different if you bought one of these guys at Ted Drewes. These guys are also pretty cheap at the Ted Drewes shop; only $1.60. They also appear to be HUGE when you buy them at Ted Drewes! I always use to pass these things up on the menu and get concretes instead, but now I officially advise against that. You've got to get these at least once!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd