Reader Request: Central Dairy Candy Bar Whirl

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine in Eldon had eaten some of Central Dairy's Candy Bar Whirl and wanted to know what I thought of it. Unfortunately, I had to tell him I had never tried it. I knew I had to fix this at the first opportunity. And similar to my feelings on Blue Bell, I have to eat as much Central Dairy as possible before I move to an area where it isn't sold!

Awkward feet are awkward


This flavor is described as Thick Caramel and SNICKERS Candy Bar Pieces Mixed into Our Old Fashioned Ice Cream.




Okay. Central Dairy does this weird thing where they don't actually describe the flavor of the base of their ice cream. Remember golden ice cream from Tiger Tracks? Like what is that? Again, I have no idea what they mean by Old Fashioned Ice Cream. There wasn't vanilla in the ingredients list and I didn't really taste vanilla. Whatever.



Also the Snickers pieces were not all actually Snickers. I got one chunk that I think was an actual Snickers and the rest, which was like 3, tasted like they were just chocolate covered peanuts.

Clump of chocolate covered peanuts


I have only had one serving so far. Hopefully, the Snickers chunks and the chocolate covered peanut chunks get more abundant.

Chunk of Snickers


The best part of this ice cream was the caramel. The caramel in this was dead on like you get in a Snickers bar. Or even better. It was like those Snickers advertisements where they pull the Snickers bar apart and the caramel strings out between the two pieces. Yum. It was sticky and gooey, but not liquidy. It was almost dry, which was definitely more like what you get in a Snickers bar. A lot of ice creams do a liquidy caramel swirl, which is fine, but that just not what a Snickers bar is like. I saw a ton of this swirl when I opened the container and was really excited from the appearance. My expectations were met on the taste, but there wasn't as much caramel as you got further down.

I also don't really like that Central Dairy containers open from the side. 


One thing I hate about a lot of Snickers inspired ice creams is that they ignore the nougat. My favorite part of Snickers is the nougat. This ice cream unfortunately fell victim to that. Thank goodness Ben & Jerry's recent Candy Bar Pie, and their older 7/11 exclusive flavor Nutty Caramel Swirl.

Overall, this ice cream was good, but it could have been more! More Snickers chunks and more caramel! If you are craving B&J's Candy Bar Pie but have a super tight budget, this would be a decent substitute.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd