Edy's Chocolate Malt Frozen Custard

I have a review back log, as always, and now that I am taking a rest from running I will have plenty of time to get caught up!

I visited my parents on my Spring Break, and being the wonderful parents that they are they had bought me ice cream! Well jk, they had bought me frozen custard. I have been excited to try Edy's new frozen custard line, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet, so I was super happy they picked some up for me.

However, I was a bit bummed to hear that it was their Chocolate Malt flavor. My sister did not give this flavor a favorable review, and neither did Dubba of On Second Scoop. My dad loves chocolate malt, which is why he picked it, and he did not see either Madeline's review or the On Second Scoop review.



I tried my hardest to keep an open mind and not write this flavor off before I even tasted it.

But before I jump right in, let me talk a little about frozen custard for the n00bs out there that don't know what it is. I've gone over this before in my post about Ted Drewes and Madeline went over it in her post about this flavor so this will just be a quick review. Frozen custard typically has more egg, more fat, and less air than ice cream. It is also served, in scoop shops, at a colder temperature than ice cream. So random thought that I don't know the answer to, did Edy's alter their recipe compared to a frozen custard shop so that it would serve well in the standard customer's freezer?



Okay now to the review. My first though was intentionally the texture because I had at least good things about that. And yes it was good and very custard. It was very smooth and dense and creamy and almost sticky just like you want frozen custard to be. So good job to Edy's on that one!

The taste, on the other hand, just like you have read in other blogs about. Bad. It didn't really taste like chocolate and it really didn't taste like malt. Like it just tasted like slightly below average chocolate ice cream plus some kind of weird flavor. I tasted nothing that even closely resembled malt. So if they had called it chocolate, I would be giving this a mediocre review, but since they called it Chocolate Malt, this gets a bad one.

One redeeming thing about this experience was that we had this flavor with angel food cake, strawberries, and whipped cream!


Not too long ago, but before I had tried this flavor, my boyfriend asked me if I ever gave an ice cream a bad review. And that is something I intentionally try not to do. I write this blog because I love ice cream and I want to share my enjoyment with others, not because I want to criticize ice cream. I always try to find at least one positive in each flavor I try. Which I did technically do with this flavor, the texture. However, here it is. A bad review. Don't buy this flavor. But Blue Bell's chocolate malt, or just about anything else, instead.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd