David's Famous Gourmet Frozen Custard Butter Mint

Mega post alert.

I first noticed this brand at Hy-Vee because of the distinctive packaging. Not many ice cream brands put the face of an old dude with funky glasses and an orange bowtie on their pints. I also was intrigued by the lemon flavor. Lemon frozen custard? Hmmm.



When I actually got to David's on my ice cream to do list, I was faced with indecision, as per usual, as to what get. I went with butter mint because I wasn't actually sure I knew what a butter mint was.

I had a hunch about butter mints and a simple Google search has proved me right. Butter mints are those kind of soft and sweet and not super sweet after dinner mints. Yum.



Since I'm already talking about the flavor of butter mint I'll review the pint first and then talk about the company. Not often do I think of ice cream as visually pleasing. I opened this pint while my roommate was cooking her dinner and I said, "Wow that's pretty" as I opened it. She probably thinks I'm pretty but I really love the color of this flavor. It looked exactly like the color of butter mints and was so pretty.



The flavor was also exactly like a butter mint, but butter. It was sweet and buttery on the front side of the flavor profile and lightly minty at the back end. This frozen custard would be super easy to eat super quickly because it is super tasty and the texture is super awesome, but then you miss out on the amazing minty taste at the end.

Now for the texture.  Oh boy this was amazing. Like so amazing and unique that I just couldn't stop eating because I was so curious about it. Like I couldn't stop and then it was gone and I was sad. Yeah, eating an entire pint of ice cream was not in the plan for the day but yolo. It was sooo soft. But not like liquidy soft, like squishy soft. And sticky, I'm assuming this would be because of the egg content, which I will get to in a bit. And while it was super soft, it was also super super creamy. There was also a ton of air whipped into it. Like a ton. It was super fluffy. Fluffy, creamy, soft, sticky, unique, woah.

Fluffy wuffy


Okay now to talk about David's. David's is less than four years old. David started making ice cream for friends and family and they loved it. So he just kept going and then brought his ice cream to RAGBRAI a week long bike across Iowa, and it was a hit. (People who like ice cream and endurance sports are the coolest of people). And now we are here!

One teeny complaint is this little unfilled pocket of the pint.


Now lets see if you have been paying attention to this blog post. What has been off?

I have referred to this pint as ice cream and as frozen custard at different points. Why? Because David didn't set out to make frozen custard, he set out to make ice cream. However, the recipe he ended up with was 4% egg yolk solids and minimum 25% butterfat. Holy moly. If you aren't an ice cream nerd, the FDA requires frozen dairy treats with more than 1.4% egg yolk solids to be labeled as frozen custard. Obviously, David's has to be labeled frozen custard. Another thing for the non ice cream geeks out there, a brand like Haagen-Dazs has 16% butterfat. In addition, for a product to be labeled frozen custard it must have at least 10% butterfat. One difference between David's and frozen custard is the air. Frozen custard typically has less air whipped in than ice cream does, while David's definitely has a lot of air whipped in. I can't find their overrun percentage anywhere, but I tweeted at them and asked, so hopefully I will get a response soon.



If you live somewhere where David's is sold go grab this unique treat ASAP. Call it frozen custard, call it ice cream, I'll just call it delicious.



http://www.davidsfamous.com/ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd