Andy's Frozen Custard

Alright St. Louisans, it is time to face reality. There is other frozen custard in the world besides Ted Drewes. I know it is hard to face, but it exists and it deserves to be reviewed. Down at the Lake of the Ozarks exists Andy's Frozen Custard. At the end of quite the fun filled day, I stopped at Andy's with a few friends.

First things first, Andy's is cute. It's like a place.  Not that Ted Drewes isn't a place, but if you were to drive by when there was no on there (which is never, but let us just pretend) you wouldn't know it was a thing. Andy's looks like a thing.

EDIT: The reason Andy's looks all cute and like a thing. It is a multi-state chain. I did not know that when I first wrote this post.



Second. Andy's is a drive through. Woah. If I have learned one thing about Central Missouri it is that people glue their butts to their car seats. Literally every thing is a drive through/in.



Third. Andy's has something that Ted Drewes doesn't have. And it is awesome. They have jackhammers. Jackhammers are basically concretes with some type of sauce down the middle of the concrete. Think Ben & Jerry's Core Flavors/Core Sundaes but with frozen custard and guys it is possible that Andy's did it first. And I thought Ben & Jerry's was being so original.
Granted, Ted Drewes has a couple of creations that have a sauce down the middle of the concrete, but it isn't like at Andy's where you can make a jackhammer with any sauce and any mix-in you want. So yeah I might be saying that Andy's is better than Ted Drewes at least in one aspect.



Of course, once I saw jackhammers on the menu I knew I had to get one. They had a special jackhammer called the James Brownie which made me giggle, so I got it. The description also read Peanut butter and brownies filled with hot fudge so yeah I had to get it. However, after an extensive Google search I have discovered no connection between James Brown and peanut butter so like I have no idea why they called it this.



In classic frozen custard shop fashion, my small was huge. I honestly would have been disappointed with anything less. The vanilla custard base itself was good, creamy and smooth, but I think Ted Drewes is a bit more dense. I don't think this creation would have withstood Ted Drewes upside down test, but we can't all be perfect.
The hot fudge was on point. It wasn't the hottest hot fudge I have ever had, but it was thick and there was a lot of it the whole way down the cup. It didn't fizzle out at all.



The brownies weren't the most dense brownies I have had, but they were still good. It was also kinda nice that they weren't too dense because then the melty custard seeped into them, yum. There were also only a couple big chunks of brownie, and more obliterated brownie swirled throughout the jackhammer.
Last the peanut butter sauce was more liquid than I expected it to be and pretty sweet. A bit of saltiness was have been nice, but that also would be a little more sophisticated than you should really expect from a frozen custard joint.

Also I like this Yay-Day thing. Everyday is a Yay-Day. YAYAYAYDAYAYAY


All in all, I was impressed with Andy's. I enjoyed what I ordered and I really liked the whole idea of the jackhammer.

Comments

  1. Jackhammers are amazing but it’s not the best Andy’s has to offer. Apple pie concrete people! If you have the chance to eat it please do so. (And by the way, Andy’s does pass the upside down test.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd