Haagen-Dazs Honey Milk Chocolate Graham Gelato Bars

I have this problem where I go to the grocery store, and after telling myself that I don't need to buy any more ice cream because I already have a review backlog I walk out of the store with 2 boxes of Haagen-Dazs gelato bars, a pint of B&J's Tonight Dough, and a pint from the Haagen-Dazs Artisan Collection. Oops.  I have the same fear as Lizzy that I will not be able to try every flavor of ice cream ever.

One of the flavors I picked up during my moment of weakness was Honey Milk Chocolate Graham Gelato Bars.  I think the Gelato Bars are something relatively new for Haagen-Dazs, but I can't say with any certainty when these bars hit the shelves.  Whenever they came out, I'm glad they are here now.  These are described as

Honey gelato with honey swirl, dipped in milk chocolate and crunchy graham cracker pieces.



These bars were so good I don't even know where to start with my review. Ahhhhhhhh - the honey flavor I guess! I am a huge fan of honey flavored ice cream.  Some people don't like it because they feel the honey flavor is too subtle. I would tell those people to try these bars and reevaluate their entire lives.  The honey flavor here was in your face.  But in, like, a nice way. Because it's honey.  And it wasn't blah old honey either.  This gelato has the wonderfully deep and complex flavor of raw honey.

I really like the clear wrapper.

The honey swirl had the same flavor, but more concentrated, so every once in a while you got an intense kick of honey flavor.

The swirl inside looked really cool.

The milk chocolate was good, but knew its place.  It played a supporting role to the honey flavor and was happy to complement the honey without attempting to overshadow it.

Last but not least the graham pieces. I was not expecting these graham pieces to significantly contribute to the flavor of the bar.  I thought they would add a nice texture, but thought that graham pieces coated in chocolate couldn't possibly have a distinct flavor.  Boy oh boy was I wrong.  The graham pieces were big enough that you could feel their crumbly texture. While the honey gelato had a sort of 'dark' sweetness, the graham pieces had a much lighter and more delicate sweetness that helped add balance to the bar.

So bumpy!

The texture of the gelato was great, and I think it worked really well in bar form. Since it is a tad thicker and creamier than ice cream it held its shape better as it started to melt.  Instead of turning into a drippy mess as it melted, the gelato just softened.

If Haagen-Dazs made this flavor in a pint I would eat it every day.  I would stock pile it in my freezer.  It is perhaps the best honey gelato/ice cream I've had to date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd