Blood Orange Throw-down!

Come one, come everyone! Ladies and germs! Children and pets! Come see two flavors compete!  Come see two flavors go head to head!  Come see two flavors beat each other into a bloody pulp! (Oh dear god, I'm so sorry.  Bad puns are bad.)

The contenders!

So I've never done a throw-down/comparison style post here, but I thought the bloodiest flavor of them all, Blood Orange, would be a great place to start.  Also, I just happened to go to a Super Target which had two different blood orange sorbets.  Most times I go to a store I find zero blood orange flavors, so I took it as a sign that I was supposed to buy both.  It's really not hard for me to find 'signs' or 'reasons' that I'm supposed to buy more ice cream/frozen desserts.

The two blood orange flavors I picked up were Talenti's Blood Orange described on their website as

Made with pure juice from the blood oranges of Sicily.  What? This sorbetto wonderfully balances sweet, tart, and refreshing because, again, it's made with pure juice from the blood oranges of Sicily.



To summarize, 'This sorbetto is good because, duh.'  Bold Talenti, very bold.  The second flavor I picked up was Target brand Archer Farms Blood Orange Mimosa.  The flavor description is

Made with the flavors of Prosecco wine and blood orange juice, this icy smooth sorbet highlights the sweet and tart flavors and brilliant hues of these perfectly paired flavors for an exquisite and exotic grand finale.



First I want to talk about the thoughts I had about these two products before I tasted them.  When I was at Target, I noticed that there seemed to be Talenti Blood Orange Sorbetto in two different colors.  One was a more muted, brownish orange, and the other was a very bright, vibrant orange.  I've also noticed this with the Roman Raspberry.  Some of the pints have a really bright red/pink color and other pints are more muted.  I wonder if this is just due to variation in ingredients between batches or something else.  I picked up one of the more muted pints because only one pint had the bright coloring, but it's lid didn't seem to be screwed on exactly right.  Maybe that's what accounts for the color difference? Who knows.

The Archer Farms sorbetto was bold.  This was an incredibly bright orange.  Like one of the dark orange traffic cones.  Also, since this was mimosa flavored, half of the sorbetto was white and champagne flavored.  It did not, however look like champagne.  Instead it was a super bright, bleached white.  In general, this product looked like there was some element of color enhancement going on.

On to the flavor. The Talenti was seriously wowzers.  It tasted like oranges.  It was juicy and refreshing.  Many times orange sorbet tastes like orange flavor, but this tasted like an actual orange.  Okay maybe not exactly, but at least like fresh-squeezed orange juice.  I mean, blood oranges are the first listed ingredient, so that's awesome.  In my notes, before I read the description online I wrote 'this sorbetto is not too sweet and not too tart.'  Sometimes it's hilarious when your impressions of a frozen dessert line up with the official description from the company.

You can kind of tell from this picture what I mean when I say the texture was 'flaky'

Texture-wise this was not the smoothest sorbetto I've ever had.  It kind of had a flaky, dry texture.  It would have been a bit better if it was smoother and creamier, but it definitely wasn't bad.

The orange flavor of the Archer Farms blood orange gelato was closer to the standard fake-ish orange flavor.  Also, after a while, it almost felt like it was burning.  Weird.  The saving grace here was that this was not just a blood orange flavor this was a blood orange mimosa flavor.  Let me tell you, I am ALL about mimosas.  Drunk brunch anyone?  The champagne flavor was not as strong as it could have been, but it definitely lent a softer side to round out the overall flavor.



The texture here was awesome.  It was definitely still a juicy, hydrating sorbetto, but it was also super smooth and creamy.

Who won?
Flavor - Talenti
Texture - Archer Farms

The real winner.  You.  After you put a scoop of Talenti Blood Orange sorbetto in a glass of champagne.  For breakfast.  Bam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd