BLVD Tasty Ice Cream Classic Tortoni

BLVD Tasty Ice Cream has been around since at least March 2015, but this is the first time I've tried it. They are sold exclusively at Whole Foods. While waiting for new 2018 flavors to hit the shelves I picked up Classic Tortoni and Caramel Dulce Slam.

Classic Tortoni is 'Jammy cherries, amaretti cookie and candied almonds in almond ice cream.' I'm apparently a terrible ice cream enthusiast because I had to look up what Tortoni is - an eggy Italian ice cream topped with cherries, chopped almonds, and macaroons.



Scrolling through BLVD's Twitter Feed, it seems like they have previously had issues with the amount of mix-ins. Since this is my first time trying it, I have nothing to compare to and don't know if they've improved, but I could have done with more vibrant mix-ins in this pint. The almonds were crushed into fairly small bits. They were consequently well-distributed through the ice cream, but blended into the almond base. The cookie chunks didn't stand out to me - their almond flavor also blended into the base. The cherries were large and juicy, but they could have had a bolder, tarter flavor.


The base was phenomenal and really carried the ice cream. It was very dense and smooth, but not at all hard - my favorite! Have you ever had an almond or pecan sandy? They feature perfectly buttery-flaky-crumbly cookies with just a hint of almond or pecan to sweet and lighten things up. Somehow, BLVD managed to capture this buttery-flaky-crumbly-sweetened-by-almond-ness in ice cream.


On the basis of the base alone I would probably give this 3.5 cones, but I'm docking it half a cone for the mix-ins. šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd