Haagen-Dazs Limited Edition Sea Salt Caramel Truffle

Typically, when Haagen-Dazs does a limited edition, they do it right. They're seasonal/limited edition Peppermint Bark is divine, and years later I still find myself lamenting the passing of Coconut Macaroon and Spiced Caramel Biscuit. I was excited to find their latest limited edition creation, Sea Salt Caramel Truffle. I was fully expecting this to be great, but a small part of my mind couldn't help but think that salted caramel truffle flavors are so tired by now. Thankfully Haagen-Dazs produced a well-executed classic instead of putting a mediocre flavor into a saturated market and hoping to make it sell by labeling it 'limited edition.'

Sea Salt Caramel Truffle has rich fudge truffles folded into sea salt caramel ice cream for a decadent indulgence.



I get so down on salted caramel ice cream because so much of it is utter crap, but then something like Sea Salt Caramel Truffle comes along to remind me that it's not that I hate salted caramel, it's that I hate sub-par salted caramel. The caramel of the base is incredibly buttery (yes, I know there is no butter in caramel), and so rich it was almost earthy. The earthy notes helped the caramel blend with the salt.


The sea salt caramel base certainly could have stood on its own, but the addition of the fudge truffles definitely elevated the flavor. I didn't read these truffles as very fudgey; rather, they seemed like a soft, dark chocolate.  In a sweeter flavor these would have read as a sweet dark chocolate, but they added a lovely bitter note against the earthy, salty base.

I'll giving this 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones. I don't think it's quite 'buy 10 pints for you end-of-the-world bunker' good, but definitely check it out before it's gone, particularly if you love salted caramel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd