Mountain House Freeze Dried Ice Cream Sandwich

After eating, then later reviewing, Mountain House's Freeze Dried Neapolitan Ice Cream on my backpacking trip this July, Mountain House sent me 3 of their Freeze Dried Ice Cream sandwiches to try for free! My first free product from a food company! So exciting!!



On first glance, this treat looks like a shrunken ice cream sandwich. I guess freeze drying will do that. First, bite, crunchy, chalky, and light, similar to the freeze dried ice cream. However, the chocolate cookie wafers were extra crunchy and hard. Taste wise, this treat tasted exactly like its frozen counter part. However, something about the artificial vanilla flavoring in, chalky, airy, freeze dried form reminded me of a marshmallow. In addition, something about this treat, probably the way the chocolate cookie wafer freeze dries, didn't remind me as much of ice cream as the plain freeze dried ice cream did. It was almost like some weird marshmallow-y ice cream-y candy bar. An enjoyable, but strange candy bar. Like, if these were sold at grocery store check outs I would have a difficult time avoiding buying them. Last, I think of the three flavors in the Freeze Dried Neapolitan Ice Cream, the strawberry was my favorite. I think it was the strongest and possibly least artificial tasting flavor? I would enjoy a Mountain House Freeze Dried Ice Cream Sandwich made with strawberry, instead of vanilla, ice cream.



Something I find humorous about the way Mountain House advertises these ice cream sandwiches is they call them "No mess." Like, yes, I get it, these ice cream sandwiches don't drip because they are freeze dried; however, like the plain freeze dried ice cream, these ice cream sandwiches are crumbly and crumby as all get out!



To sum up, I enjoyed this treat. While I wouldn't imagine myself eating the plain freeze dried ice cream outside the context of backpacking, I could imagine myself eating these treats if they were readily available in stores and didn't cost $2.69 per sandwich.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd