Archer Farms Coffee Toffee Crunch

I was recently at Target exclusively to pick up ice cream, and decided to make it a coffee themed trip.  I had a pretty good experience with Archer Farms German Chocolate Cake and wanted to try more flavors from this new line, so I picked up Coffee Toffee Crunch. Recently, there was a stir when Ben and Jerry's started using GMO-free toffee instead of Heath Bars in their similar flavor.  We didn't get into blogging quite in time to be on top of this issue, but On Second Scoop covers it well here.   I bring this up because the new Ben and Jerry's flavor does not use Heath Bars, and the Archer Farms flavor also does not use Heath bars, a fact which will become relevant later.  The short and sweet description of this flavor is

Coffee-flavored ice cream with toffee chunks.



This ice cream tasted weird.  There's no getting around it and no way to say it nicely, this tasted weird.  The first flavor that hit my tongue was weird plastic-y weirdness.  I don't even know how to describe it.  It's like the flavor wasn't fully there.  I don't even know how to describe it.  On the front of your tongue was an almost-toffee flavor, but on the back was a weird, undercooked, taste.  Hrrrrgggghhhh.  After reading up on the toffee-making process, I think  this was exactly the problem.  The toffee was undercooked.  I love toffee so much. I love Heath bars so much. There is non-Heath toffee out there that is delicious, but Heath is the only toffee I've ever experienced that was used well in an ice cream flavor.


The texture was light and airy.  The coffee base did not have a strong enough flavor to outweigh the weirdness of the toffee, and I really didn't get very many coffee notes in the flavor at all.

My second bowl of this ice cream was a slightly better experience.  It initially had that same weird taste, but as I kept eating, it faded to the background and the flavor seemed a bit more edible.  But that's really inexcusable.


Just don't buy this flavor.  There are much better offerings from the Archer Farms line and much better coffee toffee offerings out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd