Blue Bell: Old Fashioned Malt Shoppe

Yesterday, I decided to go to Paul's, the grocery store in Eldon that I don't like as much, because I was just looking for something different in my ice cream selection. Paul's does have a bigger ice cream selection than Gerbe's, but I have to say after going there yesterday, that I don't think it is a better selection. They have the same or maybe even less Ben & Jerry's than Gerbe's and NO Haagen Dazs. However, they did have Blue Bell, an ice cream brand I have seen around in stores and on various ice cream blogs. It kind of surprises me that I have never tried Blue Bell before. They are the 3rd best selling ice cream brand in America, behind only Breyers and Edy's/Dreyer's! And that is despite the fact that they only sell in 23 states!! And yes those are mostly "Southern" states. I have "southern" in quotes because I refuse to admit that Missouri is in the South. Missourah might be, but that's a different story.

The best part of this pint is the cut out in the top so you can see what you are getting in the store!!


This pint cost me ONLY $1.99 and is described as "Chocolate Malt Ice Cream with Malted Milk Balls." First I'll talk about the malt balls. They were harder and denser than standard Whoppers, and they were bordering on too hard. However, they had a very strong malt flavor, that seemed stronger than what you would expect in a Whopper. They were smaller than a standard Whopper as well. The were no sparse throughout the ice cream, but this is not a high chunk ice cream. The ice cream didn't have quite as strong a malt flavor as the malt balls, but because the malt balls were so strong, the ice cream being more chocolatey than malty was a nice balance. The chocolate flavor in the ice cream was very simple, which was actually nice, because it was reminiscent of a chocolate malt you would get at an old fashioned drive-in or malt shoppe, which I guess I know a thing or two about these days. Texture-wise, it was on the softer side of the spectrum, without being too airy. Overly airyness is usually a downfall of cheaper ice cream brand, like I found when I reviewed Breyers Reese's Blast. The texture wasn't the richest I have ever had, but it was very good for the price.



One last thing about this ice cream. It was only 170 calories per 1/2 cup, but you really couldn't tell from the taste that this is on the lower calorie side of ice creams. However, it didn't really fill me up and I ended up eating the whole pint in one sitting. Please don't judge me, because if you do, I don't have to write you these wonderful blog posts telling you about all the amazing ice cream I eat. So there.



Overall, this ice cream was an AMAZING treat for the price!! I will definitely buying Blue Bell again. They have some interesting holiday flavors, like Christmas Cookies, that has 3 kinds of cookie mix-ins, chocolate chip, sugar, and snickerdoodle. They also have some great sounding year round flavors, like Red Velvet Cake and Krazy Kookie Dough!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd