Haagen-Dazs Artisan Collection Spiced Pecan Turtle

Not long ago I had a coupon for $1 off two containers of Haagen Dazs. I grabbed the coupon, traipsed to the store, pick out my ice cream this ice cream and the Chocolate Caramelized Oat, purchased it and traipsed home. Upon arriving home, I looked in my purse, and lo and behold, I saw my coupon. I was the kid that needed three tries to get a permission slip signed, for example. One try to actually remember to bring it home, another to actually remember to get it signed, and another to actually remember to bring it back to school. Although I am now 23 years old, I am still that kid. So yes, I had to go back to the store another day and buy two more containers of ice cream to remember to use the coupon. However, in this instance, I have not been met with a frustrated parent and teacher, but instead more ice cream! Therefore, you will be seeing even more Haagen Dazs reviews in the near future.



For now, a review of this Haagen Dazs Artisan Collection ice cream described as Chocolatey covered spiced pecans and swirls of caramel into rich chocolate ice cream.



Upon first bite, my thoughts were, mmmm chocolate and mmmm spices. I did not expect, but was presently surprised by, the spices of the pecans to permeate the entire base flavor. However, the spice flavor in the base was mild.



Thus, I expected the spice of the pecans to be mild, as well. I was dead wrong. Woah buddy these little pecans pack a punch. For an ice cream brand as mainstream as Haagen Dazs, I was surprised by how spicy they made these pecans. I enjoyed it, but I could see some consumers being overwhelmed by the spice.




Now, what the spices were is a bit more challenging. As Madeline said in her review, I also tasted cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and possibly cayenne or something to give some heat, and I also possibly tasted some ginger.  But it was hard to know because there was a lot of spice flavor going on. Basically what I tasted was somebody took a shotgun to a super kickass spice cabinet and used what resulted minus the shards of glass. Aka deliciousness and I don't care what created it.



For the chunk factor, I would have liked more of the pecans, but for how spicy they were, there was the perfect amount.

You can kind of see some caramel swirl in the middle of the pint.


My one disappointment with this ice cream was the caramel swirl. Madeline thought she couldn't taste it at all, but I could. It wasn't strong, but there was an extra sweetness in the base every once in a while. Sadly, the swirl did not contribute any textural variety to this flavor. When I think of pecan turtles, I think of thick ooey gooey caramel, not think liquidy caramel like there was in this flavor.

Overall, although this flavor could have been a bit better, there is nothing else I have seen like this out there on the market. I think it is a great flavor profile, and I am glad Haagen Dazs made this flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd