Grandpa's Ice Cream Coconut Explosion and Blue Moon

My Central Missouri ice cream bucket list is almost finished. On Tuesday, despite the forecast of storms all day, I managed to have the perfect day. I enjoyed a trail run and hike and the rain held off until the moment I got in my car. Then it rained for the 15 minutes it took me to drive to Grandpa's Ice Cream on the Bagnell Dam strip. As soon as I parked my car, it stopped raining again. The ice cream and trail running deities were smiling upon me.



Grandpa's Ice Cream and Homemade Pies is the most quaint and adorable shop you could ever imagine. I'm currently kicking myself for not going more often. They had your standard flavor line up, like chocolate, cookies and cream, butter pecan, plus a bunch of "Alaskan" flavors, I think they are called, like Moose Tracks, Bear Claw, and so on. The fact they had what appeared to be the exact same line up of these Alaskan flavors as Central Dairy, down to the Muddy River flavor, makes me wonder if they make their own ice cream or if they use Central Dairy. On the other hand, they had a case of more unique flavors that they don't have at Central Dairy, so who knows. Both of the flavors I got were from this case of ice cream.



I'll start with Blue Moon. The description reads Blue Ice Cream with Almond Flavor. Not often is an ice cream primarily described by its color. This intrigued me and led me to choose it. I was also too intimidated by the Superman flavor and Blue Moon seemed a bit safer.

A small pocket of yellow and pink color!


This flavor pleased me greatly. The almond flavor it had was similar to the flavor of marzipan. I love marzipan. Thus, I loved this flavor. There was also a bit of fruity undertone going on; almost like fruit loops. The texture of this flavor and the Coconut Explosion was pretty chew with a lot of pull in it. Overall this was a mild flavor and much more enjoyable than I expected.



The second flavor I got was Coconut Explosion. I can't tell you why but when I saw this flavor, I thought to myself "I am in a coconut mood and I need this ice cream." The description is Coconut Ice Cream with Chocolate Pieces, Coconut Flakes, and Chocolate Almonds. So basically this is an Almond Joy in ice cream form.



This flavor was awesome. The intensity of the coconut flavor of the base was medium, not too light and not too strong. It was perfect to mix well with the flavors of the chocolate and the almonds. Between the coconut flakes, the chocolate pieces, and the chocolate covered almonds there was awesome texture variation in this flavor. There weren't a ton of the chocolate covered almonds which made them a nice treat about every other bite or so. My one tiny complaint is there could have been more coconut flakes. Other than that, this is exactly the way I wanted an Almond Joy ice cream executed.

If you live in Central Missouri or ever visit the Lake of the Ozarks and you haven't yet been to Grandpa's Ice Cream and Homemade Pies, I suggest you remedy that as soon as possible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd