Klondike Kandy Bar: Cookies & Cream

I'm going to get right down to it. Klondike is playing with fire with the name of this line of products. Like Klondike Kandy Bars has the two K's, fun alliteration, right? Wrong. It isn't fun to have alliteration with K's. Sure there are only two, but accidentally throw one more into the mix (like the fact that this flavor has two words that start with hard C sounds, oh dear) and you've got trouble. I guess Klondike likes to live on the edge.

But almost super racist associations aside, lets talk about ice cream.



I bought this product when I had that same coupon with which I purchased the Breyers Tiramisu Gelato Indulgences and the Magnum bars. When I was at the store with this coupon, these Kandy Bars were the only product I knew I was going to buy with it. I love cookies and cream. So much so that I recently (you'll hear more about this later) made a cookies and cream sundae. I especially love those Hershey's Cookies and Cream candy bars. Yum for white chocolate.

The description of this bar reads Artificially flavored vanilla light ice cream with dark chocolate crunch pieces topped with chocolate fudge, in a white chocolate flavored coating with dark chocolate crunch. 

And yes the sizes of the text in the description matches how it is printed on the box.



I'm going to start with saying I thought this product was good and I would probably buy it again. Part of the reason I say this is because I don't know of anything else like this ice cream bar out on the market right now and I love cookies and cream. To me it makes sense to make a cookies and cream ice cream bar, and I'm surprised I haven't seen any other company making a product like this.



However, this was not a perfect product. The main aspect I did not love about it was the fudge sauce. I do understand why they included it, but I don't think it works well with the rest of the bar. All of Klondike's Kandy Bars (I am still getting scared every time I type that) follow the same formula of ice cream and a sauce in a chocolate coating. Which is similar to the formula of many candy bars, some filling and a sauce in a chocolate coating. I'm assuming the first of the Klondike Kandy bars was the caramel peanut, which I'm guessing was created to compete with Snickers ice cream bars, which I think helps explain this formula. And while the formula is nice, I think it is holding this ice cream bar back a bit. The chocolate of fudge is not the same chocolate of the cookies in cookies in cream. I feel like the cookie bits in the ice cream and the chocolate coating have a mild flavor, while the fudge sauce has a strong flavor that over powers the flavor of the cookies. Not that the flavor of the fudge sauce is bad, but I wanted the main flavor to be the cookies and cream. Not fudge sauce and cookies and cream.



I also thought the coating could have been much thicker and more white chocolatey. Basically I wanted this bar to be like what you would get if someone scooped cookies and cream ice cream on top of one of those Hershey bars, but it wasn't quite there. Interestingly, on the box, these bars are described as having a Thick chocolatey shell, but I didn't feel they had a thick shell. Also Klondike isn't known for the thickness or quality of it's coating, like Magnum is.

Last, I thought these bars were too small. I enjoyed them and would have eating a bigger version easily. If you are a cookies and cream lover, I would recommend you buy these soon. However, I could also imagine a better version being made. If only Magnum wasn't too classy to make a cookies and cream product. But a girl can dream can't she?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd