Graeter's Mocha Chocolate Chip

You may have gathered, Dearest Reader, Brett visited me in Central Missouri not long ago. This has meant lots of ice cream and not a lot of ice cream reviewing. I've got a major back log and I am now playing major catch up. Who has time for review writing when there are so many activities?! And by activities I mean watching the television show Avatar and eating ice cream.



One evening, about two hours into a five hour Avatar binge session Brett asked me if I wanted to go get ice cream. I almost broke up with him on the spot for phrasing it as a question. However, my good sense prevailed and we drove to the store and got ice cream and I did not break up with him. Two important details to set the scene. 1) We were actually in St. Louis. I attended the wedding of two friends, so we spent a weekend in Fenton. 2) It was 10:00PM so any ice cream or fro yo shop in Fenton was closed. Thus, the obvious choice was to go to Dierbergs, which has the best ice cream selection of any grocery store in Fenton.

Dierbergs tries to be a classy establishment, but let me tell you, it's no Straub's. However, we were still judged hardcore by the woman guarding the self checkout. More details about the scene. 3) We were giggling incessantly. 4) We were incredibly excited about watching a children's cartoon and eating ice cream. 5) I was taking pictures of the ice cream at the self checkout. And to drive the point home 2) It was, at this point, past 10PM.



As we left the self checkout area, the guardian woman said to us "Be careful with that."

At the time, her statement struck me as odd.  She must have been confused. I thought to myself, "I am going to eat this ice cream, it isn't going to eat me! Why do I need to be careful?" However, looking back at the scenario, I have since realized why she made that statement. She totally thought we were high out of our minds. It's a shame she thinks you would need to be high to have as much passion and enthusiasm about cartoons and ice cream as Brett and I do, but, whatever, her loss.

This is Brett biting into his ice cream the moment we got in the car to drive home. We might have deserved to be judged. 


Now, to review the flavor. First, I like that Graeter's used a mocha base as opposed to plain coffee base with this flavor. They must have realized they were going to put whoppingly huge chocolate chips in it, so why try to make it a sophisticated coffee? Make it a mocha. Chocolate on chocolate. However, you could still taste both the coffee and chocolate in the base. Sometimes when I get mochas from coffee shops I feel like they are drowning the coffee in chocolate and milk, when I, in fact, like the taste of coffee, and want to taste both chocolate and coffee in my mocha.



The chocolate chips were awesome in this pint. I love that they are irregular, and I got some super huge ones. Since the base was satisfactorily coffeey the milk chocolate of these chips didn't make this flavor too sweet. I thought of a word that perfectly describes the texture of Graeter's chocolate chips that hadn't occurred to me before. The word is slippery. They are soft and smooth and definitely slippery.

Look at the size of that chocolate chip. Yes that is all one chocolate chip.


I have one quibble with this flavor. The base was icy and not as creamy as I would have liked. This was also definitely not user error as this flavor was mostly consumed directly after purchase, without spending time in my freezer.


To steal a phrase from our recent guest writer, this flavor was regular delicious and not spectacularly delicious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd