Sweet Science Rhubarb Cinnamon Almond (RhCA)

Surely, dearest reader, you've heard of happy tears. Or maybe you've been so angry that you cry.  Sometimes you have an emotion so strong that the only way to handle it is to sob. Uncontrollably.  I recently had an ice cream that took me to that place and then further.

Over a week ago I tried Sweet Science Rhubarb Cinnamon Almond. It was so good. I couldn't handle it. I wanted to sob. I wanted to scream. Basically, it made me want to throw a temper tantrum.  Basically, this was me:


 Further, after I was finished with this pint, even the mere thought of this ice cream stripped away every shred of coherent, rational thought and left me a quivering blob of raw emotion.  I'm finally to the point where I think I can write about this ice cream without having some sort of mental breakdown.  Seriously, this ice cream was so good it made me contemplate never eating ice cream ever again.  If you know me, you know how insane this is.

Part of me does not want to review this ice cream.  No words I think up could possibly do this ice cream justice.  So, if you live in the Twin Cities and have the ability to pick up a pint, stop reading and go eat some.  If you don't live here, read on at your own risk.

This ice cream is described as

An amaretto-cinnamon base is layered with handmade local rhubarb compote, toasted almonds, and a pinch of extra cinnamon.  The warm woodsy flavor of the cinnamon really brings out the tartness of the rhubarb, while the amaretto lends a smooth mouthfeel, and the almonds offer a lovely, light crunch and flavor.




Let's start with the base.  I bit into this and immediately thought, "This tastes exactly like the crust of an apple crumble." I think this was from a combination of warm cinnamon flavor and a top notch sweet cream flavor that was so good it was almost buttery.  The cinnamon flavor fades a bit if you eat the ice cream too quickly.  Normally this bothers me because if the flavor fades you are left with tasteless mush.  Not in this case.  As the cinnamon flavor faded, it was replaced with the smooth, delicious sweet cream flavor.  When I wanted the cinnamon back, I forced myself to take a twenty second break in between bites.  I didn't taste the amaretto, but the ice cream was incredibly smooth.  Seriously, Sweet Science has one of the best cream bases I've ever tried.



The rhubarb compote was everything a rhubarb compote should be.  It was tart and sweet and sticky, and I wanted to eat it until I was sick.  I would seriously bathe in this stuff.  There wasn't a ton of swirl, but it was just the right amount.  Since the taste was so strong, it was nice to have some bites without the swirl to let the other flavors shine.  Then, when there was a bite with swirl, it was ice cream nirvana.  It was great.  It was like you had to experience every day life first (non-swirl bites) to really appreciate pure spiritual bliss and enlightenment.


Last but not least, the almonds. Again, amazing. Top notch.  These were almond slices instead of almond chunks, and tended to appear in clusters. I liked these thin slices because it allowed the almond to soak up some of the ice cream.  This made the almonds a bit chewy.  They still had a texture distinct from the surrounding ice cream, but weren't so crunchy that I had to break my ice cream flow to gnaw an almond into submission.  Also, I think these were spiced roasted almonds. The cooked cinnamon flavor of the almonds complemented the cinnamon flavor of the base so nicely.

Please try this marvel of all marvels, it is so worth the $9.69 price tag.  Or don't. It may turn you into a raving, sticky lunatic covered in melting ice cream and begging for more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd