Cree Mee Drive In

I have been living in Eldon for 3 weeks now, and I'm sure you have all been anxiously awaiting my first review of an ice cream shop in Eldon. There are two places to get your cold, sweet tooth fix. The Eldon Drive In and Cree Mee Drive In. Throughout this year I will attempt to decide, although I doubt it will be possible, which drive in is better, especially in the ice cream department. This past Friday, as I drove home to St. Louis for the first time since moving here, I stopped at Cree Mee on my way out of town for a pre-road trip pick-me-up. Before I even went there, Cree Mee, in my opinion, had two points over Eldon Drive In in the epic drive-in battle; the appearance and the name. Cree Mee is essentially a big red barn. It is so adorable. Eldon Drive In is just an orange building, not nearly as cute. Also I just cannot get over the spelling of Cree Mee; I seriously love it. And how boring is Eldon Drive In? That would be like naming your off-spring "Child". You didn't need to tell us that, we could infer that information by looking at it.

No I was not in Eldon in 2010, I just got this pic off of the Cree Mee Facebook page!


As my father taught me, the surest way to tell the quality of an old-timey drive-in/ice cream shop, like Cree Mee, is their chocolate malts. And if a sipping a chocolate malt doesn't hit ya right in the nostalgia button (a sensation similar to heart burn), then you didn't grow up right. I also hadn't had a chocolate malt in wayyy too long, so I placed my order without hesitation.

A small chocolate malt at Cree Mee is $2.25, a pretty good price, and also debatably "small". And even though it is horrible for the environment, is was a little happy my malt was served to me in a styrofoam cup; very classic indeed.



On my first sip I was hit was a strong malt flavor, and an after taste of sweet chocolate. I don't think malts are as popular now as they were back in my dad's day, and a lot of malts you get go way too easy on the malt. Cree Mee did not, and I was very impressed. The malt was as strong as the malt flavor in a Whopper, which is more malt than chocolate for sure. The malt was also pretty thick, but not so thick that I was ever in need of a spoon, which was good, because I was not given one and forgot to ask for one. There were also plenty of spots where it wasn't totally blended and I got a mouth full of ice cream, not milkshake, through my straw. The unblended bits of a milkshake or malt, are in my opinion the best parts. From the texture from those unblended bits, and from the glimpse I got of my malt being made, I think they use their vanilla and chocolate swirl soft serve to make their shake. Seeing that made me, of course, want to get a twisty cone. However, there is only so much nostalgia one can handle in a day. I guess it also would have been quite a lot of ice cream.

This chocolate malt may be the purest embodiment of my childhood possible.


Soon, you'll be getting a review of the Eldon Drive In chocolate malt, and the battle between them will really begin. Although a review of their banana split may come first as I hear they are quite delicious.

Comments

  1. Nostalgia is a sensation more like a brain-freeze than heartburn, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd