Haagen-Dazs Pineapple Coconut

For a long time I have been intrigued, but slightly off-put by Haagen-Dazs Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream.  Many times I have seen this in the freezer, come close to buying it and then backing out at the last minute.  I don't really know why I have been so apprehensive to try this flavor.  I have had other coconut ice cream before and absolutely loved it.  I'm also in to adventurous ice cream flavors and pineapple coconut is not actually that adventurous.  I think my aversion may have stemmed from how weird pineapple and coconut look with the red/yellow color scheme of the Haagen-Dazs cartons.

The yellow of the pineapple looks SO GROSS with the background yellow!

Whatever the reason I had been avoiding this flavor, I'm so so so glad I finally picked it up.  This is much creamier than the typical Haagen-Dazs flavor.  It was light and fluffy perfection.  Haagen-Dazs describes this as

Pure, sweetened cream, tropical pineapple and the distinctive flavor of delectable coconut are crafted into a bright yet relaxing flavor combination.

I think that most coconut ice creams go for a coconut-flavored base.  What really sets this pint apart is that Haagen-Dazs uses a sweetened cream ice cream and then adds in coconut pieces and coconut flavor.  I don't know of any other Haagen-Dazs flavors that use the sweetened cream base, but my god they do it really well and should make more flavors with this base!  Wowza!

So creamy! Such chunks!  You can't see the coconut shreds, but they're there!

There were many many pieces of shredded coconut, which gave the ice cream interesting and subtle textural variation.  The coconut flavoring of this ice cream reminded me a little bit of the coconut flavoring of Malibu, and made me wish I was sitting on a beach eating/drinking some amazing alcoholic pineapple coconut ice cream float.  Yes.  I want to go to there.

Haagen-Dazs includes a flavor profile on each pint of ice cream and claims the top notes (what you taste first) are warm, floral notes of sun-ripened pineapple and that the finish notes are sweet, creamy, tropical coconut.  I honestly didn't taste the pineapple flavor that much, however, this may not be Haagen-Dazs fault.  I obviously know what a pineapple tastes like, but sometimes I have trouble detecting pineapple flavoring in dishes.  So it may actually taste like pineapple and I just have a stupid tongue.  There were small pineapple chunks.  They added to the textural variation of the ice cream, but I felt they didn't add much to the flavor.  They could have been larger and juicier.

If you haven't tried this Haagen-Dazs flavor, go out and try it today!  Or wait until the dead of winter when you need a reminder that, yes, summer will come again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd