Market Pantry Cinema Snack Ice Cream

Last week, Kyle and I went to Target to pick up a few things.  As we were heading toward the cash registers the conversation went something like this:

Kyle: Do you want to swing by the freezers and check out the ice cream.

Me: No it's ok, we already have some in the freezer at home, and I'll just wait to buy more.  Well, maybe, I am mean Target does have Ben and Jerry's for, like, way cheap.  Well, no it's ok, let's just go check out.  Ooh, but that Target gelato I picked up that one time had a really unique flavor, maybe I'll pick up another flavor ...

Kyle: Oh my god, shut up, we're going to look at the ice cream.

That exchange resulted in me going home with a 1.5 Qt container of Market Pantry Cinema Snack.  Market Pantry is a Target brand, but they do some pretty interesting and unique flavors in other areas (trail mix, salsa, etc...).  I saw this ice cream and am pretty certain that it's trying to be Ben and Jerry's Late Night Snack.  What made me pick it up was the base ice cream.  While Late Night Snack has a vanilla bean base, Cinema Snack has a popcorn ice cream base.  What!?  This ice cream is described as

Popcorn flavored ice cream swirled with a sea salt caramel, fudge-covered potato chips & pretzels.



My short review of this ice cream is that they get an A for creativity, but about a C+ for execution.  This ice cream isn't bad, but everything needed to me MORE.  If given a blind taste test of this base, I definitely wouldn't have named popcorn as the flavor.  It was good, with a delicate buttery taste, but didn't scream popcorn.  That would have been awesome.



The sea salt caramel was good, and combined with the butteriness of the base it reminded me of caramel covered popcorn.  There swirl was kind of puny and could have been much thicker.  The mix-ins were too sparse, too soggy, and not salty enough.  I honestly couldn't tell if I got any pretzel pieces, they needed to be bigger and thicker.  The chocolate covered potato chips were a bit small and soggy.  If the pretzels and potato chips had been heartier and saltier they would have stood out amazingly from the sweetness of the base.

If you want the novelty of trying a popcorn flavored ice cream or want a cheaper treat, head to Target and pick up Cinema Snack, otherwise just stick with Ben and Jerry's Late Night Snack.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd