Ted Drewes II

Man, Lizzy keeps beating me to the punch on these shared reviews!

As you already know I spent a lovely 8 days at home in St. Louis, during which I got to see Lizzy.  Before I came home we were drawing up a list of potential ice cream shops to visit.  (These things take hours of serious planning.)  We both agreed that, no matter what, we had to stop by Ted Drewes Frozen Custard.

Ted Drewes is a St. Louis institution.  I literally cannot think of one native St. Louisan I know who would not put Ted Drewes in the top-3 of must-do attractions when visiting St. Louis.

As you can tell by the name, Ted Drewes does not serve ice cream, they serve frozen custard, which has more cream and egg yolk than ice cream.  Ted Drewes serves a multitude of different frozen custard sundaes, but their signature offering is the 'concrete.'  A concrete is served in the same type of cup as a milkshake but is much, much thicker in texture.  It is in fact, so thick that you can turn it upside down (if the temperature is not 95 degrees and the poor thing has already started to melt before its short, short life even really begins).  It consists of frozen custard and mix-ins.

Ahhhh, look how frakking happy she looks!

Normally when I go to Ted Drewes I get a sundae (I don't know why, concretes are awesome), but in the spirit of reviewing Ted Drewes most famous dish I decided to get a concrete.  The new flavor Brennan Blend caught my eye.  It promised Abaco mocha, hazelnut, and a drizzle of caramel.

Best caramel sauce I've ever had.

The first thing that hit me when I took a bite of this concrete was the caramel drizzle.  This was seriously the most intense caramel sauce I've ever tasted.  We're off to a good start!  The Abaco mocha is blend of coffee and rum flavors.  In my opinion, it leaned more toward coffee than rum.  This mixed right in to the original base custard to make what was basically a mocha-flavored custard.  Yum!

For some reason I thought that the hazelnuts wouldn't be real hazelnuts.  Hazelnuts are expensive!  Everybody just uses hazelnut syrup!  I was so, so, so happy when I took a spoonful of concrete and crunched down on real hazelnut pieces!!!!!!  ZOMG so much win.  I listed to a clip of Charlie Brennan, the radio host after whom the concrete was named, interviewing Ted Drewes himself.  They talk about this concrete, and Ted Drewes mentions that they managed to source hazelnuts in number 10 cans.  These are pretty small cans (see picture below) so the hazelnuts you get in your concrete are pretty fresh.  I venture to say this is the best concrete or sunday I have ever had at Ted Drewes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd